Is there any proper AND safe way to make even the unmovable files that appear on the defragmenter (green) become one solid part of the diagram instead of being scattered?Will this be usefull?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Some of the commercial defragmenter programs (e.g. diskeeper, o&o defrag) come with what they call offline defrag, which enables the defragging of files that are normally unmoveable.

One alternative: If the file that is not moving is your pagefile, and you have a moderate amount of memory (256MB or better) you can turn off the page file, reboot, turn it on again. This will recreate the page file, and on an otherwise defragged partition it should recreate as one block.

Pagefile enable/disable is from "My Computer"/Properties/Advanced/Virtual memory.

I did what you said and it partially worked(the unmovable files are now less and bigger than many and small)
Thanks

I did what you said and it partially worked(the unmovable files are now less and bigger than many and small)
Thanks

You should download a free 30 day trial of a third party defrag program. It will allow you to defrag those files before windows starts and it runs a lot faster than the built-in defrag program.

Can you suggest or post a link to any of these programs?
I've been looking for something similar for some time.
Best regards!

Usually, when I take the time to seriously defrag. I remove my swap file, reboot into safemode, and let it have at it, once its done, I reset my swaps and continue on happily.

There's two I know of:
http://www.diskeeper.com - Diskeeper 9, of which the Lite version is free but has lots of "upgrade me" ads. Executive Software also spam me with "aren't we wonderful" mails.

http://www.oo-software.com - O&O Software also do O&O Defrag v8, which seems decent enough.

You could never have a total defrag, there are necessary O/S processes working that cannot be closed to be compacted, defragmented and moved.

i.e Defragmenter cannot move while in use.

Instead of buying software, close as many processes in task manager as possible and then defrag.

A view of necessary exe's can be found at the bottom of here

http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/mdm.exe.php

(window files), it will also tell you if it can be closed or not.

Hello,

Formatting your hard drive clean will completely defrag it, but that slap-stick answer is not what you are looking for. I am wondering what you are trying to achieve with the 100 percent defragment, aside from having your disk controllers do a lot of work.

Christian

Hello,

Formatting your hard drive clean will completely defrag it, but that slap-stick answer is not what you are looking for. I am wondering what you are trying to achieve with the 100 percent defragment, aside from having your disk controllers do a lot of work.

Christian

The problem with that is as you use your computer, it will become fragmented again. Your options are:

1. Use the built-in defrag and not worry about those fragmented files.
2. Get a third party defrag program and do a smart scheduled defrag. A smart scheduled defrag will only run defrag if necessary and is done in the background so you can do other things while it's running. With a third party you can also defrag the master file table and page file before windows starts so they are in a closed state.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.