When I boot up, the screen gets stuck on:

We apologize for the inconvience, but Windows did not start sucessfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectally or was shut down choose last known configuration:

choices are:

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
last known configuration
start normally

No matter what I choose, it brings me back to the same screen.

I really hope it is not a bad hard drive. I have all of my kids pics on it along with other improtant documentation.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

After you choose one and it goes back to that screen, are you letting it load? If I recall correctly, it will continue to display the menu screen until Windows loads successfully, and shows the desktop, so you probably won't see the standard graphic you see in other cases.

I'm having a simmilar problem myself. I cant go into detail due to current lack of time, however my solution to hopfully be able to access my 12 gigs of raw WAV files I don't want to loose is to install XP on a currently out of use-extra drive I have laying around and have the drive I'm having problems with set as the Primary Slave. This way I can at least try to get the critical files off to a backup before "trying to figure out what the hell went wrong" as the pursuit of happiness put it. (BTW I'm canadian in case your wondering who I'm talking about.)

A temp fix but at least we can get at our files.

soundman please cteate your own threads

Kimab try to boot into safe mode and run chkdisk and defrag

I was not able to get by the screen by clicking any of the options.

I used a windows XP boot up disk.

Once I was able to get to the dos prompt, i ran scandisk.

Whatever I did, it worked. When I rebooted, it brought me right in.

I made sure I backed up my hard drive ASAP.

Thanks for the help.

Ahh! This is the exact same problem I am having. Can you send me the files on the boot disk you used, please help! rooster_23_@hotmail.com

I still need help...ahhh!!!

anyone out there? what would you recommend?

i am also having the same problem. I have work on there i cannot afford to lose. Can someone please point me in the right direction for an xp boot disk. email tmaistry@hotmail.com

thank you in advance

Dont think that is going to work:

This Windows boot disk cannot be used for the following problems:

• Incorrect or corrupt device drivers that have been installed into the Windows System directory.
  • Boot problems that occur after the OSLOADER screen.

I am getting this problem after the windows loader screen pops up initially.

Any other ideas out there??

Worse case scenario....then boot up off your windows xp cd and choose to repair.

Do not worry.

Do not worry. I recommend you read this

I don't think they are worried at all, they last posted to this site on Apr 15th, 2004.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.