I can access all websites with no problem- except for one. I need this site for my work. The problem is intermittent- sometimes I can get in, other times (nearly always at the moment) I get a message that IE cannot find the site. I also use Mozilla Firefox and have exactly the same problem with this site. I was able to ping it with no problem but not open the site. I have dumped my cache but no help. We set up monitors on the site to see if there was any down-time, but there is not. I am the only person that cannot access it.

It seems the problem must be with my PC or my internet connection. The site is not a secure site so I don't think the security setting should matter. It is not a site that would be blocked by any content blocker. Can anyone suggest practical steps I can take to resolve this? Thanks so much.

Recommended Answers

All 53 Replies

i have the same problem. the website is www.grandamgt.com though. i asked five or six friends to try it and they all got on no problem. i tried each of the four computers on my network and they also say they cant find it. this is also after trying it on IE, Avant, and Opera.

Stephanie: It sounds like your ISP has blocked the site, probably for security reasons which have nothing to do with the site itself.

Often websites and email addresses are blocked by ISPs because some users on the ISP report receiving spam with return addresses showing those addresses. AOL is the biggest offender here, reblocking the same site again and again each time some user reports spam from the site. AOL also blocks outgoing email to the site, and often doesn't tell an email sender that his email was blocked.

But most of that spam is really spoofed spam, sent for the purpose of phishing through links to phake websites. The problem is that the ISP anti-spam software can't tell the difference, so it blocks the legitimate site. Now eBay has become the most often blocked site, because spoof/spammers are using phake/phishing sites to steal user IDs.

Get on the horn to your ISP administrator and find out if the ISP is blocking the site.

mlfbell: It seems that either your ISP, or the website's ISP, is so overloaded with traffic that it can't handle your request.

One thing to look for is if the status bar says it is waiting for reply from a doubleclick.net site. That is a site which posts those slideshow ads on many web pages. The problem is that they oversubscribe their service. Then, during peak hours (4 pm to 9 pm Eastern time), their site can't handle all of the requests simultaneously. The rejected ones return as either a page not found or a browser timeout.

Also check your anti-virus and anti-spyware software. They may be doing the censoring because they detect real or pseudo viruses. (A pseudo virus is machine code in a legitimate program which matches a template in a virus definition.) And some of them, when they find doubleclick.net, also reject the entire page.

Other possibilities include not having enough internet cache reserved to open the page, and image sizes exceeding the maximim file size your ISP allows.

Thanks very much. I will call Comcast up and see what the deal is. :)

Well, I have a similar problem- only one site gives me trouble but it is one I use every day sometimes for a couple of hrs- it is a religious forum that I really enjoy- but it has started to fade to a white screen with the letters readable but no separation between posts and etc- also very slow and can't post- it has been going back and forth between normal and faded out but today it's been faded all day and can not post???

any ideas? I need help! Thanks!
Suzy

What is the site your having issues with?

I would like to take a look and see if i have issues with it :)

Welcome to Daniweb :)

HI Dude- Thanks for replying- I am beginning to think it is my ISP- when I downloaded it again it acted right for a while and then messed up again- now it is going back and forth .

Here is the name of the site-

ThEndTimes.com

Thanks again!

Hmm, I would agree it's the ISP..call em!

Thanks Guys!

I just downloaded another one and so far :sweat: it is working fine- I am hoping that solved the problem!This puter is squeaky clean as far as anyone can tell and it really was a puzzle!

Thanks!

cannot open one particular website Ebay.

Welcome to the site :)

What site are you trying to render?

Welcome to the site :)

What site are you trying to render?

it was Ebay so I shut the computer down for one night and when I open it this morning it was working ok Thanks.

Well im glad you figured things out SO QUICKLY and EASILY :)

Please feel free to stick around..

Try using opera it may help you

cannot open one particular website Ebay.

My guess is you are on a network at work and they have blocked it.

Hi. I'm having a similar problem to the original one posted here. I have several websites (mischunches.com, alternativaambiental.com, convertel.com and many others) hosted in a virtual dedicated server, and very often I and other people got the message "DNS error - cannot find server". Other sites can be seen. If I do a trace and ping from http://network-tools.com/, trace is completed and ping ok. If I do it from my DOS (tracert or ping), I got "unknown host". Have change PC to other PCs/laptops to the router directly and same problem. Have called ISP and they also have the same problem: can not see the website and they plain answer is that the server is down. Inmediately I have contacted friends in different countries and they can see the websites. Host provider also is able to see the websites. Then, suddently, the sites can be seen again, but maybe the next day or so the problem comes back again. Not only to me but to my websites customers, with different browsers (IE7, Mozila, Saferi, Opera). Any hint ?

who is hosting it? - if you want my help, you will need to answer this one, sorry. The reason is:::

if the virtual server is also suporting certain types of websites, it could be getting mixed up by the countries' channel... yes you are an Italian, right? and your server is offshore? I think that italy, and costa has automatic filtering at the entry points for the net in that country, so everything is monitored and filtered at the border. if your sites are associated at all with blocked sites or content, it could be the auto-filters stopping you. that would explain why you can't see it but others can. if you want to fix this you need to change the law, or get a different server. even america has these filters inplace for some strange stuff, like try googling "conspiracy keywords" - these are words that their servers look for and if you have them, be sure that uncle sam is watching. hope that helps.

http://network-tools.com/ is hosted offshore, therefore it can find it. your dos/cmd is from your pc inside your country, therefore is filtered. that is my suggestion, anyway

I'm having a problem with a website (curemytragedy.com). We recently purchased a new Dell computer with Windows Vista. I can pull up the website and it asks me to log-on. I have been registered with this website for almost a year now. When I put in my user name and pass word it pops up and says thanks you are logged in as (screen name) transferring. This used to transfer me straight to the home page to enter the main part of site. Now for some reason after it says this it's transferring me back to the log-in page. I can't seem to get through. The other night I was constantly changing my password to be able to get in. I have emailed the administrator of the website and she doesn't know what's happening. Apparently this isn't occurring with anyone else but me. I'm getting frustrated and I don't know what to do. Can anyone help. Thanks

Hi,
Can you help me, I can not open this site (www.mail.ru)and I'mgetting blank page, however I don't have problem with other sites.
Thanks
Maoula

I can open it perfectly. Maybe it was having trouble temporarily? can you open it now? Can you tell me what browser you are using and what version? (usually under "help" in the menu bar at the top. If you cannot see the menu bar at the top, you are probably running internet explorer 8 and you will need to rclick near the top and enable the menu toolbar)

First thing you could do if you would like to try something, is download firefox and try it.

http://www.mozilla.com

The normal culprit for this issue is some kind of spyware. there is heaps of info on dannyweb about removing spyware, so we wil not be reposting it here.
Thread: cannot open one particular website
Forum: Web Browsers

Welcome to Daniweb!!

I used to have an email account on mail.ru and i cant remember my account info!!

Page loads fine for me :)

Good luck getting to it mate!

Read the previous posts.

Also, the site may be having troubles.

I also have a site it is marianhealth.com I can get to the main home page but can't login...in explorer it keeps trying to open and in firefox it says that cookies shouldn't be disable and they aren't disable.. I know its my computer because my son can bring it up no problem.. so what i had to do was install Netscape and it works in net scape....so what could be the issue.
Michele

I can access all websites with no problem- except for one. I need this site for my work. The problem is intermittent- sometimes I can get in, other times (nearly always at the moment) I get a message that IE cannot find the site. I also use Mozilla Firefox and have exactly the same problem with this site. I was able to ping it with no problem but not open the site. I have dumped my cache but no help. We set up monitors on the site to see if there was any down-time, but there is not. I am the only person that cannot access it.

It seems the problem must be with my PC or my internet connection. The site is not a secure site so I don't think the security setting should matter. It is not a site that would be blocked by any content blocker. Can anyone suggest practical steps I can take to resolve this? Thanks so much.

I am having the same problem with elertgadget website and spent 5 hours with 5 different Comcast Tech support reps trying all sorts of fixes, none of which worked. Have any of you found a fix for this yet?

If You this kind Of Problem in the Future then You can use there are lots of Proxy site in the Google which allow block contain.means if any Website is block by Your server and You want to open that site then You can use that site and just write down the URL in the Given box You can open through your Block Website.

Hi all,
I was able to sneak into the BLOCKED webpage by using encrypted proxy buy i cannot post any ..
below is the site i am looking for
www.btk-bia.webs.com
I read somewhere else that using static ip and open DNS servor wll fix this issue , i did that and did not worked , also i cleaned up internet cache, used other browsers but no results , kindly help me to fix this issue , i am residing in INDIA

any one have these problem solutions; cannot open particular one website.

thanks if any one give idea how to solve this

Dear Friends,

If you feel the problem of "can not open a particular website" all other web sites open simply

You Change your DNS numbers, Problem solved.

If you feel that the problem still exists so you need to try other solution of that particulars problems.

Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.