Hi guys,

I'm sitting with a very strange problem and this has been going on for almost 2 months now.

I've signed up for a website hosting service and experience temporary login problems. Every couple of days I'm lucky, then I can login and everything works nicely. But most of the times I'm simply unable to login. Instead, I'm getting a "Gateway Timeout" error message.

Cookies are enabled. Deleting them did not solve the problem, and deactivating my antivirus program didn't either. The same problem occurs in Firefox and IE.

When I connected my PC to the internet in our internet café, I could not login either, and I also could not login from the internet cafés' PC. However, this is the only website I'm having this kind of trouble with.

I have contacted the technical support of my hosting service but they could not yet figure out the problem. According to them, I'm the only one having these login problems.

Has any of you got an idea what could cause such a strange problem?

Thanks!!!
Bettina

Edited by bberlin: n/a

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by bberlin

I think you have demonstrated that it is the site. Will you post the entire error? I have a feeling that the authentication is taking too long at the server.

That's the complete error message:

Gateway Timeout
The following error occurred:

A gateway timeout occurred. The server is unreachable. Retry the request. Please contact the administrator.

I also thought it must be the site, but they say it can't be if no one else has problems...[code=GATEWAY_TIMEOUT] A gateway timeout occurred. The server is unreachable. Retry the request.
Please contact the administrator.

I also thought it must be the site, but they say it can't be if no one else has problems...

Thanks for the info! I sent them the link and it looks like they finally acknowledge there's a server problem. I think there were so many different agents working on this problem that they eventually forgot what I wrote in the beginning. They now say it might be my server is connecting via different routes each time, and some of them work fine whilst many don't. Now they are trying to find out where precisely the problem lies.

I did install all Microsoft updates as you recommended, just to make sure. However, I seem to be unable to install "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1". Is that an important one, and do you know a possible reason why I can't get it installed?

I tried the troubleshooting but didn't get too far with it. The installation error code you asked for is 0x66A which means that the program I want to update is not functioning or missing.

That's also the reason why the troubleshooting pages didn't help. They all ask to either uninstall and reinstall or repair the program, but when I wanted to do that I noticed that the program is not installed on my PC.

I then downloaded it and tried to install it manually which did not work either. At the end of the installation process, it gets stuck and does not complete the installation.

Is it actually necessary to have this program installed? I got some others installed, and if I understand it right these are newer versions of the .NET Framework 1.1. Here's what I got:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Is it actually necessary to have this program installed? I got some others installed, and if I understand it right these are newer versions of the .NET Framework 1.1. Here's what I got:
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Hi,
I could try and explain it all to you and confuse you to no end, go here:-
http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_net_framework_and_do_i_need_all_these_versions.html
and read about there.

Have fun.

Bob, thanks so much for the link, that article made the confusion quite clear... :)

I've attached the hijackthis file to this post, hope I've done it right because I've never worked with this before. Amazing that you understand what is going on in that report, to me it looks like chinese...

Attachments
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:00:13, on 25.01.2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe
C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\vsserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxdncoms.exe
C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\bdagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark 2600 Series\lxdnmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\seccenter.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\CamTray.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Shared\SkypeNames.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.4.4525.1752\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: BitDefender Toolbar - {381FFDE8-2394-4f90-B10D-FC6124A40F8C} - C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\IEToolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDAgent] "C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\bdagent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BitDefender Antiphishing Helper] "C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\IEShow.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxdnmon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 2600 Series\lxdnmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxdnamon] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 2600 Series\lxdnamon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FaxCenterServer] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark Fax Solutions\fm3032.exe" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [GoToMeeting] C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToMeeting\366\g2mstart.exe "/Trigger RunAtLogon"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative WebCam Tray] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\CamTray.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki... - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_60D6097707281E79.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{672C8C80-C563-477B-8309-B5A0C6AA08C6}: NameServer = 196.43.45.190 196.43.46.190
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{F6228A41-9C71-4D59-9887-1FE11BCC663C}: NameServer = 192.168.2.41
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL
O23 - Service: BitDefender Arrakis Server (Arrakis3) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Arrakis Server\bin\Arrakis3.exe
O23 - Service: Google Desktop Manager 5.9.909.30391 (GoogleDesktopManager-093009-130223) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Desktop Update Service (LIVESRV) - BitDefender SRL - C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe
O23 - Service: lxdnCATSCustConnectService - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\\lxdnserv.exe
O23 - Service: lxdn_device -   - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxdncoms.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: StarWind iSCSI Service (StarWindService) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) - BitDefender S. R. L. - C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\vsserv.exe

--
End of file - 7168 bytes

I had to reinstall my windows because there were some problems. Now at least the update is working. I'm still waiting for these technicians to sort my website out...

Thanks for your help, guys!

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.