I'm looking for a way to use a remote administration program (dameware maybe) that will be able to ack like the windows help in XP (meaning it can penitrate though a firewall). Does anyone know of any solution to this?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

If your running Windows XP Professional, I reccomend using "Remote Desktop" - its included. In my testing, there is nothing faster then it.
FYI, it uses TCP port 3389, that may be useful for ya ;-).

For more information, search for "remote desktop" in XP's Help and Support.

Like i mentioned before i want to be able to use HTTP tunneling (port 80 Cloaking). Also i want the user to still be in control as well and i don't want to have to play around with the firewall settings at all.

I'm looking for a way to use a remote administration program (dameware maybe) that will be able to ack like the windows help in XP (meaning it can penitrate though a firewall). Does anyone know of any solution to this?

I have not used this myself, but I hear good things about VNC (Virtual Network Computing), especially the version called TightVNC, which has some enhancements. There are other versions, as well.

Hope this helps!

You're going to have to do some firewall trickery to get this to work correctly, unless you change the ports for VNC/RD.

It's all open session/authentication as well, so you'll probably want to use SSH.

But will VNC allow me to remotely install the server over this open "common" port? I need to be able to install the server side of the application w/o the users intervention.

real vnc is about 250Kb and has a very simple setup.
if its just that your users maybe a little slow on the uptake (i know mine are) then you should be able to email the program and a text file to tell them what to do.
if your looking to do this without them knowing (dont want to be a kill joy and point out the legality of this) then you may want to have a look around the hacker sites, if you just want to install automaticaly (with there permission) then you may still find something of use on the hacker sites. eg Bo2k, cane and able etc

Yeah but all the tools that they use, i already looked and checked around, come up as a virus, and i can't have that happening. Thanks for the input though. If you got any other suggestions please run them by.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.