Hey

Currently running Windows M.E

At boot up I was told to run scanreg/fix to fix a problem I had.

I did so, and the computer successfully loaded to the windows login screen

However, we have 4 identities on this computer and a number of problems have now arose.

1. My documents link in the start menu used to link straight to that logged in users files, but now it wont open any window
2. Cant log in to hotmail or my msn messenger
3. The symbols @ and " have strangely switched places when typed
4. The search for files or folders in the start menu has now gone
5. My USB mouse has stopped working, and therefore I am using an old mouse(non usb)

I have ran scan disc, defrag, removed temp files etc
Also I have used scanreg/restore to no effect
I thought it was a problem with the drivers but i have had this problem before and it suddenly just fixed

Anyone know how i can fix this? and how i can prevent it happening again?

thanks for your time

-KL

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hey

Currently running Windows M.E

At boot up I was told to run scanreg/fix to fix a problem I had.

I did so, and the computer successfully loaded to the windows login screen

However, we have 4 identities on this computer and a number of problems have now arose.

1. My documents link in the start menu used to link straight to that logged in users files, but now it wont open any window
2. Cant log in to hotmail or my msn messenger
3. The symbols @ and " have strangely switched places when typed
4. The search for files or folders in the start menu has now gone
5. My USB mouse has stopped working, and therefore I am using an old mouse(non usb)

I have ran scan disc, defrag, removed temp files etc
Also I have used scanreg/restore to no effect
I thought it was a problem with the drivers but i have had this problem before and it suddenly just fixed

Anyone know how i can fix this? and how i can prevent it happening again?

thanks for your time

-KL

FIrst, have a look in your device manager for conflicts or other problems with your hardware. If you see a conflict, try uninstalling it, then let windows try to pick it up again. Its most likely a driver issue - you can look for an updated one for the problem devices(s) at your manufacturer's website. If none of this works, a repair of your WIndows ME may fix things.

peace

no conflicts come up

but it does appear that many drivers have just seized to function

no conflicts come up

but it does appear that many drivers have just seized to function

Did you try to add/remove hardware and see if anything gets picked up by windows?
Did you check for a virus, and spyware?

peace

checked for spyware and viruses, none well some spy but deleted them

what do u mean by add/remove hardware

can i delete all hardware and let windows pick it all up again?

if you havent disabled them id suggest doing system restore to before the problem started

and dont delete all the hardware, if you dont know what your doing i wouldnt play around too much in the device manager

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.