I was browsing ebay last night, and at one point I found that I couldn't do anything without getting the response that I had timed out. After closing Firefox, I tried to check my mail and received an error message telling me that I was unable to connect to the server, I then went off line and tried to reconnect but was unable to. I gave it a fifteen minute break and tried to connect with my ISP once again, and this time was able to. Would these problems be symptomantic of my ISPs server being down, or is there something else that I should be looking at?

My OS is windows 2000 Pro, and I use Firefox for my browser, and OE for my mail.

I do appreciate your time, dcc

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

It's probably your ISP. If it happens again for any length of time, give them a call and see if there are any outages in your area. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi Dogtree...that's what I figured, my ISP is telling me that it wasn't their fault and that I should go to start, then run and do a trace rt. I'm thinking new ISP if I have to go start.
Thanks, dcc

>> my ISP is telling me that it wasn't their fault
It's never their fault. ;) Be aware that just about everyone will try to dodge blame when something goes wrong. Like I said, if it happens again, call them and force them to walk you through some troubleshooting steps. At the very least, they can help you pinpoint the problem wherever it may be.

Thanks Dogtree, ain't it the truth! I did the ping and trace test out of Run, no problems, I think it's fair to say it's the ISP. Unfortunately, this is a small company that closes its doors and turns on the answering machine at midnight. They have been great for tech support, well informed and willing to help out, and I don't think the company has anymore than ten employees. I started out with my first computer this last November, so that has been helpful for me. Thanks again, dcc

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.