Hey everyone! (It's been a long time since I posted!)

I've just upgraded from WindowsXP to Windows 7. One thing I hate is how how when I have an Explorer window open, and I start typing to move the focus to a file/directory name in that directory, it instantly assumes I want to do a Windows File Search recursively in that directory. Is there a way to turn it off? WindowsXP does it and so does Windows 2008 Server.

I still want the Windows Indexing service to run, I just want to turn this annoying feature off. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello friends

* Rest your fingers.
Need to do a big search on a tiny keyboard? Suggestions come in real-time, so typing [ great w ] and clicking 'great wall of china' is faster and easier than typing it out.
* Catch a mistake.
Did you mean: Melbourne Australia? Start searching for [ melborn ], say, and Google Suggest will offer more common spellings for what you might be trying to find.
* Skip a page; save some time.
If Google detects that a specific site is relevant to the search you're typing, we'll provide a link straight to it, so you don't have to wait for the search results page. If a link is to a site in our adversiter network, it'll appear in a colored box labeled 'Sponsored Link.'
* Repeat a favorite search.
If you're signed in to your Google Account and have Web History enabled, we may show some suggestions based on searches you've done in the past. You can tell a suggestion is from your history if it has a Remove link next to it.

Thanks for all friends...............

I figured it out. It was a setting that I turned on accidentally.

Explorer Window -> Organize -> Folder Options -> View Tab -> When typing into list view -> Select the typed item in the view

That wasn't checked. I suppose I did it instinctively without thinking. In WindowsXP, the area is used to trigger Advanced File Sharing, and I guess I didn't realize this in Windows7. Also, I don't think in XP this is an option you can control because it just works.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.