swandeg 0 Newbie Poster

I travel a great deal & stay in hotels and have for the past couple of years enjoyed taking my xbox360 with me. With vista I was able to connect a standard network cable directly between devices and with my 3G broadband dongle connect to the xbox live network to play with friends back home. For this I simply went to the 3g connection and allow the Xbox access to the internet using ICS.

Last month I changed laptop and I am running Windows 7 Business as the OS. However I am having a problem. It appears there has been a significant change from the Vista OS that presented no problems in doing this with. It appears to be some sort of additional W7 system protection that is the issue. The xbox on a direct connection is classed as an 'unknown network' and the ability to change the designation is greyed out. W7 classifies unknown networks as a threat and wont communicate. I have tried to associate them using both DHCP & fixed address without success.

I am really struggling and have exhasuted all avenues that I can think of.. Can anyone suggest a solution, or even better confirm how they have resolved a similar issue.

Thanks in advance..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.