Original problem started w/error mess saying files required to run have been removed/replaced-tried doing system restore to previous date-same error message-put Win XP Home Ed cd in (inc sv pk 1) like it said to- froze in the middle of setup.Fatal error pdt catalog -signature invalid-prevents setup from continuing. Called Dell support(over an hour) they can't help anymore since my warantee exp in Dec. can't stand phone support any longer! tried other online tools w/microsoft etc. Tried recovery console too. found 1 error & fixed. Computer starts, keeps going back to "setup is being restarted..." then goes to a black screen. Is there anything else I can do - or just lose all & reinstall xp? any info appreciated. is it totally damaged now ??? I have a dell dimension 4500 series; Intel pen 4 ; 2.40Ghz 512 KB int thanks:cry:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I would think you are looking at a format and reinstall at this point. Did you try to Boot using last known configuration from the start up menu?

Original problem started w/error mess saying files required to run have been removed/replaced-tried doing system restore to previous date-same error message-put Win XP Home Ed cd in (inc sv pk 1) like it said to- froze in the middle of setup.Fatal error pdt catalog -signature invalid-prevents setup from continuing. Called Dell support(over an hour) they can't help anymore since my warantee exp in Dec. can't stand phone support any longer! tried other online tools w/microsoft etc. Tried recovery console too. found 1 error & fixed. Computer starts, keeps going back to "setup is being restarted..." then goes to a black screen. Is there anything else I can do - or just loose all & reinstall xp? any info appreciated. is it totally damaged now ??? I have a dell dimension 4500 series; Intel pen 4 ; 2.40Ghz 512 KB int thanks:cry:

A format-and-reinstall looks to be in order.

If you have a second partition (now you know why that's a good idea), you can back up your data to it before reformatting and reinstalling.

Warning!!! I cannot emphasize this enough!: before you go on the internet for the first time after the reinstall, use another machine to go to Gibson Research and download and run at least the following programs: DCOMbob.EXE and ShootTheMessenger.EXE (download them at a friend's house, they will fit on a floppy) or your machine is likely to be 0wned before you can download the rest of the patches from Windows Update -- I have seen the Blaster worm hit within seconds of getting on to the Internet on an unprotected machine, along with a spam Messenger pop-up. Another recommended program is XP Anti-Spy, which can be used to turn off a lot of the Microsoft "phone-home" stuff in XP.

can't even get into the start up menu. tried reboot(f12) then put cd in goes to xp update startup that does not complete-using old computer now to get on line
already had anti-virus/internet software installed-not sure how to take info off of computer to put on old one(saved files etc)

setup finally finished- now the computer starts showing Dell logo, then Windows XP and goes to a black screen - no keys work. ???

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.