Ok I have a 40GB Hard drive and I'm trying to hook up a 120GB hard drive as a slave. I had to buy a cord for the 120GB hard drive that converts it from a serial hard drive to a usb connection because my motherboard doesn't have a serial connection. So I got the 120GB HD plugged in and my Device Manager recognized it as working properly but when I click on "my computer" it doesn't show up. A friend of mine said I need to Partition the new hard drive. The problem is since it's hooked up as a USB device I can't go to disk management and do that............So where do I go to partition it??????

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Ok I have a 40GB Hard drive and I'm trying to hook up a 120GB hard drive as a slave. I had to buy a cord for the 120GB hard drive that converts it from a serial hard drive to a usb connection because my motherboard doesn't have a serial connection. So I got the 120GB HD plugged in and my Device Manager recognized it as working properly but when I click on "my computer" it doesn't show up. A friend of mine said I need to Partition the new hard drive. The problem is since it's hooked up as a USB device I can't go to disk management and do that............So where do I go to partition it??????

You have to format the drive first before you can use it.

You have to format the drive first before you can use it.

That's where i'm lost at...........I don't know how to format it lol. I know with my 40GB hard drive I can right click it and go to Format but with this 120GB hard drive I can't even click on it or anything......................So how do I format it?

That's where i'm lost at...........I don't know how to format it lol. I know with my 40GB hard drive I can right click it and go to Format but with this 120GB hard drive I can't even click on it or anything......................So how do I format it?

Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management. Click on Disk Management and you should see your new hard drive there.

^^^^ That's what I'm saying it's not recoginizing it as a hard drive in disk management...........However in the Device Manager it shows up as working properly and the "safely remove hardware" Icon pops up when the hard drive is plugged in................

can you see you 40g disk displayed as disk0 (not partition)?
i am not very sure. one time a friend changed the setting of computer management, so he could not see the disk. while he can only see the volume or partitions there.
so, if you even can not see disk0, go view menu in the computer management to change the setting as graphical view.
and when you use the usb access the hard drive, it usually does not show as disk1, may be disk3 or disk4.

Yes the 40GB hard drive shows up in disk management but the 120GB doesn't............

So I guess the question is how do you format a hard drive that doesn't show up in disk management but shows up in the device manager...........????

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.