I loved AOL for years, but it was getting more expensive all the time. I was paying over $30/month when I went to broadband, but I still wanted to stay w/AOL, even if they didn't want me (evidenced when I tried to call them with questions and was snootily told that they only talk to "members)." But now, it's so incredibly SLOW with everything that I find myself hating it. I can't even shut it off without WAITING.......it has to "download," "initialize," etc., whatever it does -- (tracking my every move) in order for me to go onto something else on my computer, and I have no patience for it With all the other faster browsers out there, how can AOL justify doing everything so slowly and still expect to retain users? Their advertisers are going to drop out with the "members," if they don't speed up their works. I feel like AOL really is copying my every move, and that's why they're doing everything so slowly. If they're NOT doing that, there's no excuse for the primitive movements of their server. Also, when I switched to 9.5, I had to soft boot every hour to have any kind of service at all, since I was told they "stack up" sites or something, and that slows everything down. Who the hell knows what they do; all I know is it's the MOST frustrating browser online now, and I don't wonder why people are dropping it.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I loved AOL for years, but it was getting more expensive all the time. I was paying over $30/month when I went to broadband, but I still wanted to stay w/AOL, even if they didn't want me (evidenced when I tried to call them with questions and was snootily told that they only talk to "members)." But now, it's so incredibly SLOW with everything that I find myself hating it. I can't even shut it off without WAITING.......it has to "download," "initialize," etc., whatever it does -- (tracking my every move) in order for me to go onto something else on my computer, and I have no patience for it With all the other faster browsers out there, how can AOL justify doing everything so slowly and still expect to retain users? Their advertisers are going to drop out with the "members," if they don't speed up their works. I feel like AOL really is copying my every move, and that's why they're doing everything so slowly. If they're NOT doing that, there's no excuse for the primitive movements of their server. Also, when I switched to 9.5, I had to soft boot every hour to have any kind of service at all, since I was told they "stack up" sites or something, and that slows everything down. Who the hell knows what they do; all I know is it's the MOST frustrating browser online now, and I don't wonder why people are dropping it.

To the best of my knowledge IE doesn't cache background images and unless I'm out of the loop aol is still using IE as a backend?
Try putting them in a hidden which will force IE(aol browser) to cache them. Might not help with the initial page load but subsequent pages will be faster. I do this with all my background images.

Thank you, Kristain, but I'm not really knowledgeable enough to even know how to do that without really detailed steps. i've been online a long time, but there have been things I just never bothered to learn, technologically speaking :) I saw something earlier about INSTALLING AOL and putting it in another folder, but I don't quite understand that either. Thanks, anyway........I appreciate your answer, even if I can't follow your nice instructions.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.