Hello. I have a problem regarding Windows XP Proffesional (SP2) - with it's explorer to be more precise ("explorer.exe" program).

I'm typing this message via some other computer because I don't have Internet on the computer with the problem I'm talking about at all (don't have a telephone line, but I'm planing to use cablenet), the point being: I can't send an error message to the Microsoft!

Problem:
As soon as the operating system loads-up, the error message appears - saying that something's wrong with "explorer.exe" program.
When I close that error window everything seems normal, but when I try to open something on Desktop (or do anything on it - as a matter of fact) it show's that same old message again (and again (when I try to do something), and again, and again - until it finaly "clogs-up", and pauses).
Latter on, a sand-clock appears as a cursor and it stays that way - I can move it, but everything on Desktop is freezed (can't even select an icon).

I tried Norton SystemWorks 2005, and it's WinDoctor doesn't fix the above mentioned problem (it finds some others and fixes it, but it doesn't repair the main problem).

I can, however, browse hard drives using (e.g.) TotalCommander (when freshly restarted), I can run most of the programs using such method...

The same problem apperas when Logged-on as User or as Administrator; it appears in "Safe Mode" too (identical symptoms - always). I have a HyperThreading processor - maybe it's some problem in connection with it? Help! I'm kind-of short on time - I need my computer to do some work, and I need a solution as quick as possible...

Obviously it (the problem) has to do with "Explorer.exe" itself, but what is the solution? (and - don't say "reinstalling the operating system", only selectively applicable solutions are wanted)

Hello. I have a problem regarding Windows XP Proffesional (SP2) - with it's explorer to be more precise ("explorer.exe" program).

I'm typing this message via some other computer because I don't have Internet on the computer with the problem I'm talking about at all (don't have a telephone line, but I'm planing to use cablenet), the point being: I can't send an error message to the Microsoft!

Problem:
As soon as the operating system loads-up, the error message appears - saying that something's wrong with "explorer.exe" program.
When I close that error window everything seems normal, but when I try to open something on Desktop (or do anything on it - as a matter of fact) it show's that same old message again (and again (when I try to do something), and again, and again - until it finaly "clogs-up", and pauses).
Latter on, a sand-clock appears as a cursor and it stays that way - I can move it, but everything on Desktop is freezed (can't even select an icon).

I tried Norton SystemWorks 2005, and it's WinDoctor doesn't fix the above mentioned problem (it finds some others and fixes it, but it doesn't repair the main problem).

I can, however, browse hard drives using (e.g.) TotalCommander (when freshly restarted), I can run most of the programs using such method...

The same problem apperas when Logged-on as User or as Administrator; it appears in "Safe Mode" too (identical symptoms - always). I have a HyperThreading processor - maybe it's some problem in connection with it? Help! I'm kind-of short on time - I need my computer to do some work, and I need a solution as quick as possible...

Obviously it (the problem) has to do with "Explorer.exe" itself, but what is the solution? (and - don't say "reinstalling the operating system", only selectively applicable solutions are wanted)

There are a few things you can do. First, to get rid of the error reporting:
Click Start.

Right-click My Computer, then click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Click Error Reporting.

By default, error reporting is enabled. To disable it, click Disable error reporting. To continue to be notified when errors occur without being prompted to report the errors, click to select the But notify me when critical errors occur check box.

Now, for the real problem. To see if things are well in your computer, one thing you can do is run the System File Checker.
Click Start.

Click Run.

Type in "sfc /scannow". You will need your windows cd. If it finds nothing there, there's unfortunately not a whole lot more you can do without reinstalling. You could try to use System Restore, but that may or may not work. Good luck!

(Thanks for replying. I'll try those things you suggested. But, further more...)

What about making some settings in Registry? (maybe that could solve the problem to the point)

It reports that an error is in connection with "shell32.dll" - can it be solved by doing something regarding that file, or by making some settings directly for that file?

What could be the source of this problem?
I was connecting some other hard-drive to the system to check it because something was wrong with that hard-drive's file system - some files were corrupted (I used CD-ROMS IDE for that). I also used Norton SystemWorks 2002 - but I deinstalled it latter (I thought - maybe it creates some conflicts with the system), but it didn't fix the problem. Prior to appearance of the problem I disabled something regarding WindowsXP's exclusive right to access the hard-drives (or something)...

About the error reportings - It's not just some annoying reporting - Explorer stucks when I use it, so you can't do anything else, but to use Task Manager to End the Task...

There are a few things you can do. First, to get rid of the error reporting:
Click Start.

Right-click My Computer, then click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Click Error Reporting.

By default, error reporting is enabled. To disable it, click Disable error reporting. To continue to be notified when errors occur without being prompted to report the errors, click to select the But notify me when critical errors occur check box.

Now, for the real problem. To see if things are well in your computer, one thing you can do is run the System File Checker.
Click Start.

Click Run.

Type in "sfc /scannow". You will need your windows cd. If it finds nothing there, there's unfortunately not a whole lot more you can do without reinstalling. You could try to use System Restore, but that may or may not work. Good luck!

I tried the suggested stuff:
1.) Can't do anything on desktop (so I cant make settings in My Computer (maybe just to find some executive file using some program with browser?)). (but, what ever - this doesn't solve the problem itself, doesnt it?)
2.) I tried "sfc /restore", but I don't have the XP system's CD-ROM.
3.) I tried System Restore, but it says that it cannot be completed, and that thus no changes are made to the system...

There MUST be a solution for this problem - I mean: it's not some major problem (all system files are there and MOST certenly unchanged) - it is obvious that settings are in question - what has to be done in order to eliminate settings that created this problem?

(I mentioned that I've made changes to settings regarding systems exclusive right to handle hard-drives (when I was trying to make the above mentioned HD check with Norton SystemWorks 2002 I had to disabe that option - is there some knowledge about those actions making described problems?))

The error message says:
"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Further more, there is:

Error signature
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
ModName: shell32.dll ModVer: 6.0.2900.2180
Offset: 0005eb71

Exception information

Code: 0xC0000005 Flags: 0x00000000
Record: 0x0000000000000000 Address: 0x000000007ca1eb71

System Information

Windows NT 5.1 Buld:2600

etc...

Module 1:
Explorer.exe
Image Base: 0x01000000 Image size: 0x00000000
Checksum: 0x00108809 Time Stamp: 0x41107ece

etc. etc. etc. (Some 20 more Modules)

---------
Does this description help?

Never mind. I helped my self.

I don't know how - but I solved the problem.
I'm writing this in order to help the others (who knows - maybe somebody Googles it out).

First time when I tried "System Restore" (as suggested by djfatben) it didn't work. I tried a few times more with different and the same "Restore Points", but it didn't work. (I used some other program to browse/find the "restore" folder where the System Restore program is located, cause Explorer was a "dead horse")
Then I tried ALL SORTS of different things, but - nothing.

Finaly I came back where I was - "System Restore" program (again), and again it didn't work (always the same problem: restore incomplete - nothing's changed to the system (that sort of message)). I was desperate - I thought - now I'll have to reinstall all the system, with all the drivers from all the CDs, lose applications that were installed etc. etc. etc.

Then I thought: what if I turn-off the computer at the exact time it finishes restoring the "restore point" which must be good and goes to Restart (that way, I tought, it'll restore that restore point but, I'll interrupt it so it wouldn't remove those "incomplete" restored settings). It was done sooner than I expected, so it started restarting - then I pushed the turn-off button on my computer.

When I turned it back on, and the operating system loaded, the System Restore porgram displayed the same "Incomplete Restoration - nothing's done" message, - sad... I closed the System Restore program... There's nothing much left to do... Everything must be deleted... and then reinstaled. But... When I closed "System Restore" - I thought "Hmm... Something's strange..." - and then it hit me: THERE IS NO EXPLORER's ERROR MESSAGE!

Everything was back to normal!!!

Now - I don't know weither my "turn-off after restoring" routine has to do something with it or not, but - now everything's fine, and that's the only thing that matters.

(hope this helped someone...)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.