I've recently noticed that my windows XP firewall turns off after every restart. And sometimes, if I connect to the internet multiple times in one sitting, the firewall turns off every time I reconnect to the internet. I don't have any other firewalls installed.

I recently cleaned my computer of a bad virus, so I wanted to find out if it was something else before I start scanning it with every software out there again. Does anyone have any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Also, not sure if this means anything or not, but when I run regedit, the windows firewall registry has no values.

Try to use internet security software from Kaspersky, Avira or AVG. They have firewall features to protect your computer. If you have one of those installed chances are they disable your Window firewall and use their own firewall.

hi,ashampoo have a decent firewall and is free,if you install a 3rd party firewall make sure windows firewall is disabled,running two firewalls or antivirus programs is asking for trouble,they simply conflict.

And if you go CP > Windows firewall > Advanced tab, and click Default settings button, what do you get?
If that fails then firstly uninstall the Firewall service, Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS): in its properties first Stop it, then disable its Startup type, then type into a cmd window:
sc delete SharedAccess
Secondly, reinstall by going CP > Windows firewall.... a reinstall box will pop. If that doesn't work go to a cmd window again with:
rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection Ndi-Steelhead 132 %windir%\inf\netrass.inf
After restarting your sys, next cmd is...
netsh firewall reset
[those two cmds are from M$]
Say how it goes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.