I am kinda computer illiterate, so bare with me...

I wanted to get a USB kit to convert my VHS/DVD to my computer and my friend told me I should make sure my computer has a graphic card before I buy it (I have a Windows XP type: 2366-85U). I couldn't seem to find one (I could be wrong and there is one already installed in my computer, but I'm not sure) so I tried to download one for free. I tried to download the Matrox Millenium graphic card and the download was successful and I am trying to go through the set-up and I get to a point where it says that "this software doesn't detect any Matrox graphics hardware in your computer". Does this just mean I have to wait until I have files on the computer or did I do this all just totally wrong?

Someone give me some guidance...I just want to make sure my computer will work with the USB kit I was planning on buying...thanks.

Steph

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I wanted to get a USB kit to convert my VHS/DVD to my computer and my friend told me I should make sure my computer has a graphic card before I buy it (I have a Windows XP type: 2366-85U). I couldn't seem to find one (I could be wrong and there is one already installed in my computer, but I'm not sure) so I tried to download one for free. I tried to download the Matrox Millenium graphic card and the download was successful and I am trying to go through the set-up and I get to a point where it says that "this software doesn't detect any Matrox graphics hardware in your computer". Does this just mean I have to wait until I have files on the computer or did I do this all just totally wrong?

Someone give me some guidance...I just want to make sure my computer will work with the USB kit I was planning on buying...thanks.

Steph

Ok, first of all you cant download graphics cards. they are cards the go in the computer. most computers will come with a graphics card in them. how good they are varies. go to the system in the control panel then select haardware then device manager. go to where it says video. and what does it say there. (do that in order to know what u have if you wanna know)

Steph

i think what you mean is you downloaded a driver for a card.you can't download a card,i suggest you go to the local tech store and get your selv a personal video recorder(pci).a tv tuner/video recorder will allow you to capture from a vcr/dvd player. :cheesy:

God I can't believe how I didn't think it through that I can't download something that is a "card"..thanks for the replies. Under the video section it says, "Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Captures Devices, Media Control Devices, SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio and Video Codecs" and in most of their folders it says that it is a standard system device. Am I to assume that the video capture device is the graphic card or am I totally off base now?

I hate feeling so foolish..thanks again for your help.

Steph

oops my bad under device manager go to display adapters. the post what it says there THAT is your graphics card

no,thats fine,what youve told me is you have an integrated video device.what this means is it is integrated on your motherboard and is not a "card".it also means it probably isn't very good,i suggest if you want a better graphics cars,do some research online.at nvidia.com,or ati.com,make a decision,make sure you have a free pci,pci express or agp slot.check manufacturers web site for build specifications and motherboard specifications for that info.once you have made your decision go ahead and go buy your new video card,come home disable onboard video(advanced bios),uninstall graphics drivers for onboard device and install new drivers for new video card.once that is done get latest hardware updates from windows and get latest video card updates from manufacturerat that point in time you should have a perfectly working video"card" :p

no,thats fine,what youve told me is you have an integrated video device.what this means is it is integrated on your motherboard and is not a "card".it also means it probably isn't very good,i suggest if you want a better graphics cars,do some research online.at nvidia.com,or ati.com,make a decision,make sure you have a free pci,pci express or agp slot.check manufacturers web site for build specifications and motherboard specifications for that info.once you have made your decision go ahead and go buy your new video card,come home disable onboard video(advanced bios),uninstall graphics drivers for onboard device and install new drivers for new video card.once that is done get latest hardware updates from windows and get latest video card updates from manufacturerat that point in time you should have a perfectly working video"card" :p

yup

So I looked under display adapter and it says I have a Radeon 7500 and I started looking at the websites you posted. Thanks again for your help..lord knows where I would be without it.

Steph

yea your good to go

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.