iam on a dialup connection through aol.and i have a aol email.and a hotmail account.what i would like to know is if i can setup a outlook express acount.and if i can.a step by step would be much appreciated.thanks...........

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

What e-mail account are you wanting to configure Outlook Express for? You can configure it for Hotmail, but I don't think you can configure it to check your AOL mail, although I'm not sure about that, since I haven't used AOL since about version 1.0.

hi.theorge.yes hotmail...........

To add a Hotmail account in Outlook Express, follow these simple steps:

1. Open Outlook Express
2. Click Tools | Accounts
3. Select the Mail tab
4. Click on Add | Mail...
5. Enter your Display Name (this appears as the From name when people receive your e-mail) and click Next
6. Enter your Hotmail address and click Next
7. Click the first dropdown menu item and select HTTP as the incoming mail server.
8. Select Hotmail as the HTTP mail service provider from the dropdown menu and click Next.
9. Enter your Hotmail e-mail address and password in the fields, and check the "remember password" box and click Next.
10. Click Finish

Enjoy :)

hi.theogre.i did every thing to the t and when i tryed to send a email i get a errorAn unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 12019, Error Number: 0x80004005

Are you able to download your Hotmail messages from Outlook Express? I'm not sure if Hotmail allows sending mail from OE, but it should be able to check for messages on that account.

I no longer have a Hotmail account, or I'd do some further checking on it for you. I know that in the past, as of about a year ago, I was able to check Hotmail from Outlook Express, but it would seem as though they've made changes to their environment. Is there a FAQ you can check to see if checking Hotmail from OE is even supported still? Sorry I couldn't be more help...

hi theorge i dont think its enything about hotmail changing.i think its my outlook express even when i had highspeed i couldnt send email with outlook.and it was set to my default amail account.and i couldnt download files from hotmail either.where do i find my display name..........

If you couldn't check mail before this, then I would think it had something to do with the way OE was configured. Since I don't know who your mail provider is, nor how your system was configured before, I can't tell you what to fix, since I don't know where the problem lies.

As far as your Display Name, please see #'s 4 and 5 above. If you are asking about your Display Name in Hotmail, you'll have to log in to Hotmail and edit your preferences to make any changes/view your current settings.

thank for your time theorge......

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.