I have not been able to get shortcuts or lnk files to work on the PC. I noticed a post here by c0801 that had the same problem after d/l'ing the lastest patch from Zone Alarm - which now automatically includes spyware. I have sent ZA a tech customer support request for help and I am waiting for their reply.

Has anyone here experienced same problem? If so, what is the solution, if any? I am beginning to think I have to reinstall the entire OS. Or, in the alternative, since I use Register First Aide, trying an older version of the registry to see if that works. I have a suspicion that the new spyware has removed the association to *.lnk files. I can tell you that the MS SOLUTION ( http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/9/09.asp . )for a registry fix for non-functioning desktop shortcuts does NOT work.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I have not been able to get shortcuts or lnk files to work on the PC. I noticed a post here by c0801 that had the same problem after d/l'ing the lastest patch from Zone Alarm - which now automatically includes spyware. I have sent ZA a tech customer support request for help and I am waiting for their reply.

Has anyone here experienced same problem? If so, what is the solution, if any? I am beginning to think I have to reinstall the entire OS. Or, in the alternative, since I use Register First Aide, trying an older version of the registry to see if that works. I have a suspicion that the new spyware has removed the association to *.lnk files. I can tell you that the MS SOLUTION ( http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/9/09.asp . )for a registry fix for non-functioning desktop shortcuts does NOT work.

You should be able to reassociate the file by right clicking & choose open with.

You should be able to reassociate the file by right clicking & choose open with.

i tried that on mine and it doesnt work :sad: any other suggestions? the right click menu doesn't show "open with". and also i cant fix it in the properties menu to add a shortcut

My OS is Win XP 2
Dell Inspiron 7500

I also have the same problem. Google referred me to a site that said it was caused by a Trojan virus called...Trojan.psguard _desktop hijacker.
I have XSoft spy ware remover and it does not show the Trojan. Neither does AVG anti virus. I tried several other freebie scans and they did not find it. Finally I tried Spy Doctor and there it was. It was classed as a high threat Trojan. Out of frustration and desperation, I purchased the Spy Doctor. After downloading it I ran another scan. The Trojan showed up again as well as 171 other minor infections. I clicked 'remove' and everything went kaput. My laptop froze up solid. I had to reinstall windows to get it to work again. The trojan is gone BUT the shortcuts still do not work.

The shortcuts referring to my files work but any referring to web sites do not work. A window pops up saying that "this file does not have a program associated for it to perform this action. Create an association for it in the Folder Options control panel."

I have no idea how to do this. Have you found the solution yet?

Swedishhighball

My OS is Win XP 2
Dell Inspiron 7500

I had to reinstall windows to get it to work again. The trojan is gone BUT the shortcuts still do not work.l

did you do a complete full reinstall ,or just a repair install ,by complete i mean did you loose all you current programs and data ,

I had a similar problem but had "my documents and favorite folders" backed up and some spread sheets backed up before reinstalling the os. i selected new install which formated the hard drive before installing the os. i use xp. then it was just a matter of copying my files back after scanning the discs they were on first and reloading my programs. when loading the programs they ask if you want to place a shortcut key on your desktop.

This happend on a Win95 computer we had years ago and i didnt ever figure out why it happend... (I probably could have done a restore but i didnt know that much about computers back then :()

Had to have been a registry error...

Welcome to the site petesr1@hotmail :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.