Google often helps with Bsod codes, so does the Microsoft knowledge base to a degree!

I may have missed it, but I don't recall seeing anyone talk abou the 64-bit install for AVG free here. Did you try that? Here is an easy place to download it http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/. I have found that using the 32- or 64- but install from a full download has worked much better on the 64-bit home systems I've worked on ... though I can't explain why.

If you read my first post, I was having trouble with an update for AVG free on windows 7 64bit!

I know you were having trouble setting it up on 64-bit Windows ... I was wondering if you downloaded the setup designed for 64-bit (the link I provided has it)? I found that if I did the free link from the AVG site, it sometimes tried to install the 32-bit version of the app rather than the 64-bit version.

I had no problem installing it, indeed, I had been using it for 6 months or so without a hitch. It was 1 update that caused the problem and it has now been fixed!

I've looked for free AV software lately and I found there are lots of new software that are free and seem to be great. I've remained to COMODO Internet Security from this download site.

I have solved the problem by installing windows 7 32bit!

I use Avira's AntiVir along with Spybot S&D

I've been using AVIRA Anti-virus and I don't think I'll ever go back to AVG. It's more stable on my system which is also 64-bit.

This thread is SOLVED!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.