Hi:
I am working on a clients PC and when I raise the memory from 512 MB to 1.5GB the whole system crashes. The RAM on the system is DDR PC2700 and on the other side it says 64X64 PC3200 DDR. The additional RAM I tried to put in is 1GB PC-3200 CL3 400MHz.

My client is wanting to install an application that strengthens her mind and it requires a minimum of 64MB on the video card and 1 GB of Ram. I tried to find out about the information on the computer with the DxDiag tool but received no information about the amount of RAM on the video card. I found some instructions on the fact that DirectX 9.0c hides this information for some reason. Therefore uninstall the DirectX 9.0c. I created a restore point on the PC and a backup of the registry. I then followed the instructions on how to remove the DirectX 9.0c by removing the regedit pointer in the regedit. Did that and restarted the PC. I then got the error on startup of "C:\windows\uvewawaz.dll" could not be found and clicking out of the message box the computer continued to work fine.

I did find out that The video card does of 128 MB of RAM on it, the amount that is recommended for the application.

I went and got 1GB of RAM and proceeded to put it in the PC. With the new RAM in the PC the computer promptly stopped starting up and I got the following message " Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" . It would not start in normal or safe mode at all. Before I got this error message I go the following error code "C000021a".

I removed the new RAM and after letting the PC sit idle and off for a few minutes was able to restart the PC and it booted up into the windows XP desktop. Both the error code and the error message disappeared.

Here is the Dxdiag before the removal of the DirectX
======================================================
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model: A7N8X-X
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) , MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 421MB used, 826MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
=========================================================
Here is the Dxdiag after the removal of DirectX
===========================================================
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model: A7N8X-X
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) , MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 309MB used, 939MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: Not found
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
============================================================

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Take the RAM back it is either the wrong speed or bad.

Thanks for the heads up. I hope this was not the case.

That's an Asus board and Asus boards are very fussy about ram. Put Hynix ram in it and it should be fine!

Wow! Is Hynix Ram easy to find? Is it a ram that I can get locally?

Seeing as you haven't said whereabouts you are in the world, no idea!

I am in Saskatchewan Canada

Definately no idea what's available there, I'm in the UK!

Thanks, I will check around here.

"My client is wanting to install an application that strengthens her mind "
Nothing like investigating the possibilities and then fixing your own sys to do that.
I have Asus boards, they seem fairly accepting of RAM brands. This one is running some junk-brand [ok, rebranded] reasonably hi-spec set. The individual chips are well-known.
"The RAM on the system is DDR PC2700 and on the other side it says 64X64 PC3200 DDR. " What? Is that on the one stick? It has to be one or the other. The PC3200 spec is the error-free maximum speed they can get from the RAM. Try derating it via BIOS to a lower speed, see if it works then. If it does, the RAM is not up to its rated specification of 400MHz.

the problem is your ram combined the different speed pull out the pc2700 and remain the ram pc3200....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.