I need to send a CDROM to friends in Uganda so they can install Internet Explorer 6 on their laptop computer. They don't have an internet connection, so they can't download IE6. But they can't install the printer drivers on a new multifunction printer that I gave them unless they first intall a very recent version of IE5 or else IE6.

When I go to download IE6 (service pack 1), it sees that I already have Internet Explorer on my computer, so it won't download it for me. I even tried downloading the Internet Explorer Administration Kit, and tried to use it to create a CDROM for installation purposes, but when I was done, I couldn't figure out what to do to create the CD.

I would pay $5 and order a CD from Microsoft, but I don't think it will arrive in time (I have someone going to visit Uganda next Tuesday who will take the CD for me if I can get one).

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Harriet Bograd

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I need to send a CDROM to friends in Uganda so they can install Internet Explorer 6 on their laptop computer. They don't have an internet connection, so they can't download IE6. But they can't install the printer drivers on a new multifunction printer that I gave them unless they first intall a very recent version of IE5 or else IE6.

The newest AOL v9.0 CDs have a fairly new version of IE6-SP1 in a directory on them. The directory is hidden, you do have to turn on show hidden files and directories in Folder Options -> View to see it, but it's there -- and (of course), the CD is free and available everywhere.

Though I can't find his message now, someone else also referred me to these two links:

How to download internet explorer 6 sp1
http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html

Downloading Internet Explorer For A Different Operating System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;174680

They gave the same advice, but explained it in somewhat different ways, and using them together I had no trouble creating the CD that I needed.

Of course, it would have been even easier if I had read the message about the AOL CD's before I did this.

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Harriet

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.