I have a PC, win2k, a bit dated I went to upgrade the graphics card from a ATI rage 128 pro agp to something else. Opened add/remove programs clicked to remove the ATI drivers and got a pop up message:
RUNDLL
Error in C:\WINNT\system32\atiiiexx.dll
missing entry:InfEngUnInstallINFFile-RUNDLL
Now, I tried copying and replacing the file from an Identical computer but it hasnt made a difference any help would be apprieciated cheers.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hey

Best practice is always to uninstall in Safe mode, because they are in use in normal mode. Installing over the top is not advised also.

safe mode can be accessed during POST (PowerOn Self Test - the bit before Windows logo appears when you turn the PC on) by Pressing F8 lots, until the menu appears. Select safe mode from the list, and once it has booted uninstall drivers as normal.

To do this, go "Start" -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager button.

This will list in a new window all installed devices, and you should select your Graphics card, (may need to maximise the + next to display), right click and select uninstall. Do this for all entries of your card, (should only need to do so for primary and the rest should be removed as well).

You then have to reboot in normal mode, (because the device will not be recognised in safe mode), and cancel any "New found hardware" Wizards, then install drivers as normal.

I hope this helps, but let me know any problems, I'm sure we can get them sorted.

Hi ther cheers for your advice i will give it a go on Monday.

Hey

Best practice is always to uninstall in Safe mode, because they are in use in normal mode. Installing over the top is not advised also.

safe mode can be accessed during POST (PowerOn Self Test - the bit before Windows logo appears when you turn the PC on) by Pressing F8 lots, until the menu appears. Select safe mode from the list, and once it has booted uninstall drivers as normal.

To do this, go "Start" -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager button.

This will list in a new window all installed devices, and you should select your Graphics card, (may need to maximise the + next to display), right click and select uninstall. Do this for all entries of your card, (should only need to do so for primary and the rest should be removed as well).

You then have to reboot in normal mode, (because the device will not be recognised in safe mode), and cancel any "New found hardware" Wizards, then install drivers as normal.

I hope this helps, but let me know any problems, I'm sure we can get them sorted.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.