I messed up my installation of XP by resetting during shutdown (:rolleyes: at me). After that I couldn't start up as I'd get a really quick blue screen and a restart after the XP loading screen. I think it was complaining about a registry file missing but I can never make out what it says since it's only visible for a fraction of a second.

I booted from my XP CD and it was supposed to detect my previous installation. It didn't. So what I did was made a new installation which I am on right now. It works fine except the internet connection is a bit sluggish and of course none of the programs installed on the original installation are available. I've managed to save all the important files onto another computer through a network. I ran the boot CD again and now it did detect an XP installation, the new one. :cry:

Is there anyway to repair my old installation or to quickly get the programs from the old installation to the new one?

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by juba

Hi Juba,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

I;ve got the exact same issue and can't face re-installing all my applications in the new OS !

Thanks

Rob

Hi Juba,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

I;ve got the exact same issue and can't face re-installing all my applications in the new OS !

Thanks

Rob

Yeah I did :cool:

I took a videocamera and recorded my computer starting up. Then I slowly replayed the tape and I was able to check the error message. It turned out that one of the registry files indeed was damaged, the software file. I went on the Microsoft support site (http://support.microsoft.com/) and put in the error name/number in the search. From there I found a good step by step guide on how to replace the files through the Microsoft recovery console. It wasn't difficult at all and all my files were safe :p

Try to find out exactly what the error message is and go the Microsoft support site and it should help you fix it.

Good luck!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.