yesterday i bought a new fan for my processor. i installed it as it said on the instructions and when i turned my computer on nothing comes on the screen, i can hear the computer on....after about 5 seconds i get a long loud beep...and this repeats every 10ish seconds...

....i tried puttin my old fan back in but it does the same....can anyone help me

ive got athlon xp2200+ processor on an elitegroup ks76a board....512mb 2700 ddr....

....thanks

Darryl
daz106gti@hotmail.com

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

yesterday i bought a new fan for my processor. i installed it as it said on the instructions and when i turned my computer on nothing comes on the screen, i can hear the computer on....after about 5 seconds i get a long loud beep...and this repeats every 10ish seconds...

You knocked a board loose, probably the video card. It's easy to do; some cases are a little sloppy on their tolerances -- a board can pull loose even when properly screwed down. Some MBs have a slot latch for the VGA card, but this one does not appear to. The VGA card is under a lot of mechanical stress -- that big, honkin' cable applies a lot of leverage and can pry it right out of its socket.

It could also be one of the DIMMs, as well, though that's less likely. Or it could be one of the PCI cards, but my bet is on the video.

Member Avatar for TKSS

Also note that those beeps are telling you exactly what is wrong. Each motherboard has a code that lets you know what is going on...long short...short long...etc. Whenever you hear beeps like this, write the series down...then open up your manual OR go to your motherboards' website. Once you find the information, it will tell you what the problem is. If, perhaps in this case, your motherboard beep sequence meant video problem, you wouldn't have had to ask for help and you'd have troubleshot this puppy yourself! :)

Also, it would be wise for you to get a copper shim for the XP processor. Some people will argue that this is not needed but IMHO its an added bonus that does more good to have than to have not. It will transfer heat better between processor and heatsink...but the real bonus is that it helps to prevent crushing your CPU (especially for the larger heat sinks for the XP series). Be careful to not press to hard when installing a fan. Remember that the heavier and larger the heatsink, the more pressure will be on your CPU which = more pressure on small parts of the CPU itself which could = crunch! Hope these suggestions help in the future.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.