I was running Iolo's System Mechanic, and was told that is really wasn't that good. What is the best Optimization software to use? Is there a good Freeware out there, or is it better to go with a paid program for this? Thanks....

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

My OS is Windows 7 64 bit...

System optimizers generally are worthless. Don't bother with any of them. Smart computer usage is what keeps the system optimized.

Can use any of these:

1. CCleaner (free)
2. Tune Up utilities (paid)
3. Advanced System Optimizer (paid)
4. Registry Mechanic (paid)

I have used the registry cleaner in Ccleaner on hundreds of computers and it's the only registry cleaner I fully trust. It can make a difference in speed even to a brand new installation of windows.
The thing most people overlook is de-fragmenting hard drives. Defraggler is free and can make a huge difference in speed to a heavily fragmented computer and is far better and quicker than windows own de-fragmenting software.

Agree with Rik on the defrag tool as well, thou I use Diskeeper, which automatically keeps the hard-disks healthy

Reg cleaners are good as good computer use still leaves one with a cluttered registry.
I use Advanced System Care on Win 7 64 bit and it keeps my system running well. I used XP registry cleaner on XP and it keeps windows healthy. CCleaner is also quite good.

Reg cleaners are good as good computer use still leaves one with a cluttered registry.
I use Advanced System Care on Win 7 64 bit and it keeps my system running well. I used XP registry cleaner on XP and it keeps windows healthy. CCleaner is also quite good.

If registry cleaning *really* able to improve performance, the developers of these utilities would support their marketing claims with some form of factual and independent testing evidence (performance prior to cleaning -vs- performance post cleaning).Do they ever provide this? No, and that's because registry cleaning does *not* improve performance. Many programs put 1000's of entries into the registry without causing any performance hit. Similarly, the fact that registries tend to hold significantly more information than in years gone by (bigger hard disks = more programs installed/data stored = more registry entries) has not resulted in systems slowing to a crawl.

Using an automated registry cleaner is like using a table saw to remove a hang nail. The best way to deal with (possibly) registry-related issues is is to thoroughly research the problem and then use regedit to make any necessary changes and/or deletions (having first set a restore point or created a backup).

jholland1964, maybe all the people who have discovered that using a reg-cleaner has improved that stability of their OP, are just imagining it. Or maybe the people who spend their time cleaning obsolete data from registries and find that the OP runs better, are wasting their time. I some how doubt people would compile software if there was no need for it. There are a number of people who do computer repairs professionally, that use reg-cleaners extensively.

I some how doubt people would compile software if there was no need for it.

Shade01; If you believe this then you obviously are very naive` The NEED is to line the pockets of the creators, not to fix a computer. Most of these useless and dangerous programs are PAID programs. They are not created to fix computers, they are created for the MONEY the creators receive from people who have no clue what they are doing when they purchase them. Most work exactly the same way, scan the computer for FREE but you must PURCHASE the program to do the alleged cleaning of the hundreds of files that will always be found with it. When the programs are purchased then much of the time the buyer gets a whole lot more than he paid for, tracking software, infections, malware/spyware or something that causes enough damage that another program must then be purchased in order to repair the damage. The excuse these junk program creators use when the computer is damaged? The user was an amateur and obviously used it incorrectly and they are not responsible if the user didn't use it correctly. They all carry this advanced warning, which 99.9% of those purchasing the program ignore..."We, the creators are NOT responsible if you damage your machine by using this program. Use at your own risk"

There are a number of people who do computer repairs professionally, that use reg-cleaners extensively.

The key word in that statement is PROFESSIONALLY.
A good, PROFESSIONAL computer tech may occasionally use a reg-cleaner, but a PROFESSIONAL who KNOWS the right program to use, who KNOWS, what registry entries need editing also knows how to do it MANUALLY without the use of a special program and a good WELL TRAINED PROFESSIONAL also knows that if he uses a junk program to clean a registry and "toasts" his clients computer that very soon he will no longer be in business.

Well, then I must be naive, as are a couple of hundred thousand (million?) other people. Strange though, your original statement that there is no improvement between prior and post cleaning is not accurate, but as someone who runs a successful computer shop, I must just be imagining the success of using a reg-cleaner as opposed to editing each registry. Anyway, each to their own. Just remember that is your personal opinion and not everybody will agree with you.

Yes, this is my personal opinion based on what I see when working on computers. I have seen many, many computers where some of these supposed automatic registry cleaners have been purchased and used by persons who have no clue what they are doing who have removed much needed registry entries because this supposed "expertly" created program has flagged something as bad or dead when it is not and a program they use all the time no longer works. I am talking hundreds of dollars spent here. There is no way an automated program can possibly be configured to know each and every available program for each and every computer in the world, yet people continue to rely on them to do so. We see false positives every day by top of the line av programs for this very reason, people take the time, generally to check these out and do find out the listing is false and then tell their av to ignore. The av creators DO rapidly adjust their programs and definitions to correct the problems, but so many of these automatic registry cleaners/boosters/defraggers, etc. don't.
You can see how rich the writers of these bogus progams are, they NEED to make the money and they do. All at the expense of unknowing average "Joes" who trust that they are buying something necessary and all they are getting are expensive headaches.

I must agree with you but the false positives and av's. But a reg cleaner can check what is on the system and delete the obsolete entries so it does have its uses.

I was running Iolo's System Mechanic, and was told that is really wasn't that good. What is the best Optimization software to use? Is there a good Freeware out there, or is it better to go with a paid program for this? Thanks....

Let those guys have their differences of opinion.
I used to use advanced system care 3, but it is a resource hog.
Now I use Glary Utilities. why? Not for the reg cleaner, (which seems good). I know in older versions the registry cleaner used to wipe some files, like the desktop.ini file, that tells your computer what file to display in mycomputer, but that seems to have been addressed, now. but all the other apps:

Batch Uninstaller:
you can set batch mode, and hit uninstall, it goes bang, bang, bang. it is HEAPS more efficient than the windows uninstaller. Just becareful though. I have seen it uninstall programs that weren't ticked.

Disk Analysis:
it gives you a visual overview of where your space is being taken up on your drive, so you can find big files/folders and take any needed action.

Duplicate Files finder:
the name says it all

disk cleaner:
remove temp files and the like

file undelete.
handy for deleted file recovery.

file shredder.
if you want that folder gone-gone.

file encrypter.

if you want that file private.

registry defrag.
it can make the registry significantly smaller. I have never had a problem with this tool.

PLUS the One-Click-Optimiser:
the item that you were just asking about. I disable the spyware and track remover tools.

I use sysinternal autoruns for the startup manager. becareful. it is not a tool for beginners. You could seriously do some "interesting things" to your computer with this app.

for spyware I tend towards
spybot S&D.
It is freeware, and up to date. usually, it can seem to be doing not much. I find it finds the most stuff in the last moments of it's scan.

but I run ESET Smart Security on all my stuff, and have no need for SS&D. (I am a licenced reseller for ESET, the best out there in my personal opinion.) I will not provide a link to it, as I do not wish to appear to be selling anything.

Good call hotmatrixx

You are always putting your computer at risk by using freewares... Paid programs are much better than free ones.

I'm using Tuneup Utilities. I can say is the best i've try until now.

Good call hotmatrixx

Thank you, Shade01.

To everyone else out there:

As of writing this, the Original Poster has not been active in this thread for25 days. i think it is safe to believe that we have answered his (her) questions.

The other observation that I will make, is there are a lot of people saying "I use..." or "I'm a computer Tech and I use..." but there is very little actually useful information listed in the posts. This thread was meant to answer a specific person's question, and once that person leaves the thread, you can guess they have had their answer - whether they mark a thread as solved or otherwise.

If you all would like to make a list of "registry cleaners and optimizers", then great - maybe someone should begin a thread dedicated to this?

OK then, I will start one. HERE.

You are always putting your computer at risk by using freewares... Paid programs are much better than free ones.

This is quite possibly the most incorrect statement I've read in quite some time. Some of the best software I use on a regular basis is freeware.

How does freeware put your computer at risk?? Seriously?
-- Yeah, there is malware and adware involved with some freeware. But, there are a ton of great and clean free programs as well. So, a blanket statement that all are risky does a disservice for those readers of this thread that do not know better :)

This is the most funny thing i have heard. I agree with Philliephan above. I use CCleaner free version for my Compaq laptop and it proves to be a great softwares. Paid programs only have additional features, freewares are enought for your laptop if you are using it normally. Adding to that the Original poster have not come back and post.

This is quite possibly the most incorrect statement I've read in quite some time. Some of the best software I use on a regular basis is freeware.

How does freeware put your computer at risk?? Seriously?
-- Yeah, there is malware and adware involved with some freeware. But, there are a ton of great and clean free programs as well. So, a blanket statement that all are risky does a disservice for those readers of this thread that do not know better :)

I Concur:
and, funnily enough, most software that will cause problems actually "tells you that you need to buy it or your computer is at risk of stopping", then it hijacks your computer until you $$$ at it. This is called adware, or malware, depending on the circumstances and the changes the software can make.

Good ad ware might display an ad asking you to click a link. the ad is usually unobtrusive, and should never reduce the functionality of the computer - if it does, it is malware.

two good exsamples of adware (where ads are displayed to support develpoment) are FreeDownloadManager, FormatFactory. oh, and Lots of 'android' stuff does this too. Most malware advertises itself as antivirus or reg cleaners - and use scare tactics to make you buy. I wouldn't put money into anything that says "pay for this or else..."
(except my phone and power bill :-P )

most freeware out there is fine. Some of it is excellent.

We are running the risk of hijacking this thread guys...

We are running the risk of hijacking this thread guys...

Then let's just end this thread. Last post

Ask a moderator to this. PM philliephan or crunchie.

I would stay away from them i used a paid version of tuneup utilities and at another point a paid version af advanced system care and after a few days they slowed my pc down so much it nearly became unusable until i restored my setting till befor i installed them. and neither gave me a refund so £60 wasted!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.