I had to reinstall windows on a HP Pavilion a820n and had to download an audio driver. I downloaded one but it was not the correct one, so then I downloaded Realtec AC'97 Audio. I can't remember what the first one I downloaded was, but I was trying to free up some space on the hard drive so I unistalled the Intel Accelerated Graphics Driver, because I thought it was the wrong one that I downloaded first. Since then (but I don't know if it was immediately after that or if it was something else I did that caused it) the option to Standby is grayed out. Did it have anything to do with it or is there something else I need to do to bring back the Standby option? Thanks for your help!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

The Windows version was not mentioned, so I'm assuming either Vista or 7 in moving this thread. If that's not a correct assumption, please report the thread so that it can be moved to the correct forum.

The Windows version was not mentioned, so I'm assuming either Vista or 7 in moving this thread. If that's not a correct assumption, please report the thread so that it can be moved to the correct forum.

No, actually it is windows xp.

This has been resolved. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but Standby has reappeared. The only thing I did that was update Internet Explorer, but I don't see how that could have affected it.

Are you using windows xp 32 bit? The windows stand by button will grey out if your computer is too old to support the advance control panel. Go to your device manager and check whether all the boxes there are all update and mark with a green tick. I don't think updating your web browser will cure your problem at all. it must have been a coincidence. Have you change any settings in the control panel before this happen if yes maybe that could cause the problem. If that is the case you can reset all settings to default and see whether your problem persists or not.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.