I have a P-4 with 512 MB Ram. I have loaded Win98 and Winxp. Winxp is working fine but the problem is with 98. When i enter into it first the Win98 logo comes up and then a blank screen comes up with a blinking small flat bar at the top left side of the screen. It blinks for about 170 times and then the desktop appear. This happened when i installed all the drivers, the last driver i installed was the Lan.

After a few days i formated the drive and reinstalled windows and all the drivers(Lan driver was the last one) but this time there were only 17 blinks.

Again after a few day due to some reasons i had to format the drive and reinstall everything and the problem of blinks reappeared. This time 180 blinks

So how could it be possible three times same type of installation and :-|

Actually i use 98 for games and u know we have to restart for every software installation and its really frustrating to wait for 180 blinks equal to 3 min

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What kind of components do you have? Did you you load the chipset driver before all the other ones?

What kind of components do you have? Did you you load the chipset driver before all the other ones?

Thanx alc6379 for replying i thouht no one has the solution for this

Gigabyte GA-8I845GV(-C) Mother Board
Celeron 2.0 GHz Processor
384 MB Ram
Intel 82845G/GL/PE/GV Graphics Controller
RealteK RT8139 NIC on board
Yamaha Sound Card

I Dont have any printer or scanner or any other peripheral

I always put my Mother Board CD which autoplays and i select Chipset, Display, USB, LAN and click on setup

Is there any rule that we have to install chipset first or display or lan first

Do you have another video card that you can try on this? Why are we loading such an old OS on this system, anyways?

I have a P-4 with 512 MB Ram. I have loaded Win98 and Winxp. Winxp is working fine but the problem is with 98. When i enter into it first the Win98 logo comes up and then a blank screen comes up with a blinking small flat bar at the top left side of the screen. It blinks for about 170 times and then the desktop appear. This happened when i installed all the drivers, the last driver i installed was the Lan.

After a few days i formated the drive and reinstalled windows and all the drivers(Lan driver was the last one) but this time there were only 17 blinks.

Again after a few day due to some reasons i had to format the drive and reinstall everything and the problem of blinks reappeared. This time 180 blinks

So how could it be possible three times same type of installation and :-|

Actually i use 98 for games and u know we have to restart for every software installation and its really frustrating to wait for 180 blinks equal to 3 min

He said he uses it for games.
Dude, if you want an os that's good for gaming try downloading linux red hat

Do you have another video card that you can try on this? Why are we loading such an old OS on this system, anyways?

i have already sorted out this problem but dont know how :?:

i disabled my LAN card and its starting after some 16 or 17 blinks its fine, but after enabling it again goes back to 180 blinks :?:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.