WinXP Startup Password Dialog big problem!
My laptop W/XP presented a password dialog on startup or return from hibernation. It asked for a password (pw). I do not use a pw. I always hit enter, and W/XP began; no problems. Then I thought to improve things by checking the forums. Searching, I found a 2006 reply to my question which advised:

"run cmd > control userpasswords2 > ( ">" means enter)"

A dialog box appeared with a check in a box for "User must enter password". I unchecked the box. Then enter. Then my big problem began!

I restarted full of hope! After a short while, the familiar dialog box appeared "Log On to Windows". In the user name box, the word "Administrator" appeared, as usual. The dialog was slightly grayed out and super-imposed was another dialog which says "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction." When I clicked the "OK", the "Unable..." box disappeared and "Log On to Windows" was fully presented. I clicked "OK" again with no password as I have always done. Instead of going on the my W/XP, the second dialog reappeared, and so on. All I can do is click "Shut down".

So what do I do now? I cannot use my computer.
Anyone?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

" When I clicked the "OK", the "Unable..." box disappeared and "Log On to Windows" was fully presented."
-at that point are you unable to remove Administrator from the box [backspace it out] and type your own username?.... and can you then log in? If so, use control userpasswords2 again, recheck that box, set an Administrator pw if you so wish. Or clear it...
I much prefer to use net user in the cmd window to alter accounts.
Run net in a cmd window... and so on. You have full control of accounts from here.

" When I clicked the "OK", the "Unable..." box disappeared and "Log On to Windows" was fully presented."
-at that point are you unable to remove Administrator from the box [backspace it out] and type your own username?.... and can you then log in? If so, use control userpasswords2 again, recheck that box, set an Administrator pw if you so wish. Or clear it...
I much prefer to use net user in the cmd window to alter accounts.
Run net in a cmd window... and so on. You have full control of accounts from here.

I cannot log in because I don't have the usernmae or password. This is a computer I bought from a non-technical friend. She cannot help in this issue.

I use cd080802.exe.

I cannot mark this thread solved, because it was not. I have since reformatted the hard-drive and re-installed the Windows XP Home Edition OS from a CD. The drivers are the basic drivers for the OS, and I could not download the latest full set of drivers from Dell support. Under a different thread, I shall post the issue of installing new drivers for my OS.

A pity you did not try the software I suggested. It lists accounts and permits to change/remove XP account passwords. Simple as, totally effective.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.