ggraner 0 Newbie Poster

I am having problems after installing SP2 onto a machine with a clean install of Windows XP. I don't think its a virus or spyware, as I've wiped the drive clean several times, reinstalled XP, and only gone online for Windows updates and nothing else whatsoever. After installing SP2, the PC hits a stop error (blue screen) and reboots..over and over until I intervene and choose Safe Mode without Networking. Here is the error message:

0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x81fd6148, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

I don't even know if we need to get that technical, though, as I have noticed that after installing SP2 I have 8 network adapters listed consisting of my NIC, which was there before SP2, and 7 virtual adapters, which were not there before. I can get into Safe Mode, but not Safe Mode with Networking, so I'm pretty sure these extra adapters are causing the problem. I am using XP Home on the machine right now, but I also tried installing XP Pro and got the same result. The board is an Intel D815EEA with a PIII 1.0GHz CPU and the latest BIOS. I've changed the RAM sticks several times and still encountered the same problem.

I hope this is enough detail, and if anyone has encountered the same problem please let me know. I'm very close to removing XP, installing Windows 2000, and just selling the damn thing.

Thanks!