i use Netscape navigator 7.2 and when browsing the net i have started getting an anoyying notification window that says "Entry point not found,
The procedure entry point?Findchar@ncString@QBEHGHHH@Z could not be found in the dynamic link library xpcom.dll"
it doesnt make any sense to me and ever since this has started happening i am noticing strange behaviour of my pc , like it goes off LAN, browser closes by itself , pc restarts all of a sudden.
what could be wrong? is this a virus?

please help.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Uninstall Netscape from "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel and then reinstall it. Alternatively, if you have downloaded add-ins for Netscape such as a calendar for instance, try disabling the add-in or installing the latest version of the add-in.

Uninstall Netscape from "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel and then reinstall it. Alternatively, if you have downloaded add-ins for Netscape such as a calendar for instance, try disabling the add-in or installing the latest version of the add-in.

Thanks, if i uninstall netscape will i lose my netscape messenger too, (including all the messages and addresses)and what about my bookmarks? i downloaded the latest netscape browser, but it is Just the browser, and looks complicated.

it's not that i dont use IE, but i am a great appreciator of netscape with its messenger and composer built in one convinient package.

Search for a file on your C: drive called bookmarks.html
The folder that lives in should contain a folder called Mail where all your mail settings are. Although I'm not particularly knowledgable about this version of Netscape I can tell you that previous versions generally know where to look to find your previous Netscape profile during installation. From what I can tell it would normally live in your profile. An easy way to check is:

Click Start-->Run-->type %userprofile% then click "Ok". This will be your profile directory. Find Application Data folder...double click it...look for a Mozilla or Netscape folder...you should be able to find the profile stuff in there. I don't think uninstalling Netscape will cause these files to be removed but you should make a copy of the profile folder just in case. When you reinstall Netscape all you should have to do is point it to the profile...if memory serves me Netscape will look for the profile for you automatically so you might not have to tell it anything. Hope this helps!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.