Ok, time to get some help instead of giving it ;)

When I play games, my PC randomly reboots (no BSOD). So I tried updating all the drivers, but no succes. I don't have anything overclocked, so that shouldn't be a problem.
My first guess was that something was overheating, so I watched my temps and CPU never is above 50C and GPU never above 60C, which is fine as far as I can tell. I have manually put all fans on higher speeds and that didn't help either.
I think it might be my videocard, as this problem only happens when playing games. Other then that it never crashed and I use it to run some heavy software for my work, like a virtual machine with Linux on it and simultaniously Autocad, firefox, netbeans, etc. This doesn't crash it, but playing a game of Saints Row 3 will.

specs:
Windows 7 64 bit
i7 930 @ 2.8 ghz (with somesort of enormous custom cooling thing on it, which the PC-store-guy said "every nerd needed")
6 GB RAM (3x2 triple channel)
Ati Radeon 5700
Realtek audio

So any ideas where to start diagnosing?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I think it's your video card overheating. 60C is rather high, and that will cause your computer to restart without BSOD prompts. I've had it happen to me a lot (used to have an open case and would stick my foot in when it was warm and sometimes get hit by the video card fan causing it to stop and later overheat). So you might want to check out a better cooling system for your computer, ~30C is where your PC should idle at, and at a max 45C when running full speed.

Sounds like a video card overheating issue to me as well. The video card is going to require more power while playing those games. More power = more heat.

wouldn't 3d-rendering in Autocad take up as much power?

No, most of that stuff uses CPU cycles, not video memory. There are specific cards that are made for programs like Autocad, but you'll notice that they are rather 'underpowered' for their price range (usualy 2 or 3 grand), but they have specifications built in to run these programs better.
But your autocad rendering would be mostly done via your CPU.

what for PSU do you have, it can be that your PSU has not enough power. If the videocard cant get enough power, you can get some BSOD's

Gr, Jeannot

update, It can be that your pc reboots if the videocard can't get enough power.

Gr. Jeannot

PS: sorry for the double post.

I'm currently refitting all my fans and see if that makes any difference.

It can be that your pc reboots if the videocard can't get enough power

If have an Aerocool E85-550 (550 Watt), which should be powerfull enough.

Also checked with this site: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Which gave me:

System Type:        1 physical CPU  
Motherboard:        High End - Desktop  
CPU:        Intel Core i7-930 2800 MHz Bloomfield   
CPU Utilization (TDP):      90% TDP 

RAM:        3 Sticks DDR3 SDRAM 
Video Card 1:       AMD Radeon HD 5770  

IDE HDD 7200 rpm:       2 HDDs  

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive:        2 Drives    
Additional PCI Card (avg):      1 Card  

USB:        2 Devices   
Fan Controller:     Yes 
Front Bay Card Reader:      Yes 

Fans            
Regular:        2 Fans 120mm;   

Keyboard and mouse:     Yes 

System Load:        90 %    

Minimum PSU Wattage:        373 Watts   
Recommended Wattage:        423 Watts

This might be something with the graphics card...

This might be something with the graphics card..

Thank you captain obvious, you just won yourself a ban for that reply! (sig-spammer)

i would say increase the power supply to at least 750 watt power ....

check on your videocard for compatibility.

tried updating all the drivers

Quoted Text Here

have you updating the latest mobo chipset driver first and reboot once after the new chipset installations?
after the chipset driver, try reinstall the video card driver as well.

Bill
tech manager, WPTinc.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.