Hi chaps, I have a problem with my dell xps 17 lappy, the connector for the main is really dodgy inside the laptop itself therefore charging it is a nightmare. I was wondering if there is such a thing as a USB main charger that can be plugged in to a usb port of the lappy rather than to the usual power cable connector and charge the battery (I assume the computer needs to be on for it to work).
Have you ever heard anything like that?
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Send the computer in for repair. It may be possible to find such a charging device, but the question is whether or not the xps ports are configured to allow that. You might want to connect with Dell Tech Support (they have a decent browser-based chat capability) and ask them if it would be possible.

Charging the laptop battery from a USB port is just not possible. If you did find a device that claimed to do it it would work, for all of a few seconds until it fried your motherboard. USB ports have not been designed to handle the kind of current that a 19 volt battery requires to charge proberly. Have a look at your charger, It is most likely 19 volts at 3.42 amps or more. Look up the specs of any USB device, it will be 5 volt and a maximum of around 600 miliamps. 3.42 amps = 3,420 miliamps.

thanks guys, I kind of suspected the voltage might have been different...it's that I really don't want to take the whole machine apart, but I will probably have to
thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.