I am trying to regain permissions to my drive after denying them accidently. I am using Window 7. But when I right click the disk and go to properties, the security tab is missing. Why is this, that is how I was able to change it in the first place. I am the only user and administrator on this computer. I even tried to make another user and give it administration abilities, no luck. I also tried the Takeown command prompt and it still says access denied. I am clueless. I feel that there has to be a way to gain access to it or I am going to have to reformat it. But wouldn't that erase my drive data. Please Help. My drive is an NTFS format.

Jeriel

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

1. Run a Linux Distro
  2. Copy your data off the drive to another drive that doesn't have NTFS
  3. Format and reinstall

If you're using EFS you're pretty screwed

Thanks for responding. So your saying that I change my operating system. Why should I do that? If I can copy the files on this drive to another, why not keep the same windows 7 and reinstall the same drive. I is not corrupted it just denying access.

Some Linux distros have a "Live" CD/DVD meaning that you can boot to the OS from the disc. This means that you don't have to replace/re-install your native OS.

Can I get a walkthrough on how to do the linux distros method. I'm not getting any progress. I just bought a external harddrive trying to back up my disk before I reformat it. It did not work, it still not allowing me access. I think I have to bring it in to a tech.

try to download cd boot hirens, make a bootable cd, then used the bootable cd to copy your important data by booting it,, select the menu, windows mini xp. then after that you can now back up your data.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.