Hi All

I am sure this has been discussed multiple times.
I have searched the forum and found nothing like my problem.
I have windows server 2003 it runs a incremental backup everyday.
but on saturday it runs a normal(full) backup. during the week it runs fine.
on the weekend it fails and gives me the E: is not a valid drive, or you do not have access.
I have checked security and NTBackup user has all the permissions for drive E:
and so does Backup Operators also. any ideas what else i should check?

Thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by CimmerianX

Are there time restrictions on these accounts that allow logons during the work week, but no access during off hours?

No time restrictions, this also was working fine for about a year

i am attaching my backup batch file

Attachments
::This batch job will stop Timberline Document Management service and 
::backup DM to the NAS.

E:\applications\TSDV\hub_service -stop

E:\applications\TSDV\db_prog.exe -start_offline_dump

robocopy e:\applications\TSDV \\nas\backups\TimberlineDMbackup\TSDV /e /copyall /V /NFL /NDL /w:1 /r:0 /np

robocopy "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\sage" \\nas\backups\TimberlineDMbackup\sage /e /copyall /V /NFL /NDL /w:1 /r:0 /np

::Now robocopy to the secondaryserver 

robocopy e: \\secondaryserver\e$ /e /copyall /XD "E:\System Volume Information" /V /NFL /NDL /w:1 /r:0 /np 

E:\applications\TSDV\db_prog.exe -cancel_offline_dump

net start cypress

echo on
for /f "tokens=1-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /t') do (
	set yyyymmdd=%%d_%%b_%%c
	set dd=%%c
	set dow=%%a
)
echo %yyyymmdd%
echo %dd%

set btype=Incremental
if "%dow%"=="Sat" set btype=Normal

::Backup of File Server 

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\NTBackup\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\DailyBackup.bks" /F \\nas\backups\FileServerBackups\BACKUP_%dd%.bkf /m %btype% /v:no /j "Backup.job" /l:s

for /f "tokens=2 delims=]" %%a in ('dir /o:-d /b c:\"Documents and Settings\NTBackup\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\backup*.log" ^| find /i /n "backup" ^| find /i "[1]"') do set mylog=%%a
find /i /v "backup" "c:\Documents and Settings\NTBackup\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\%mylog%" | find /i /v "Media name" >>c:\batch\backupsummary.log

::Now Mail Backup Result to Administrators.
::This line mails the File Server backup log.
smtpsend -fxxxx@*****.com -tme@*****.com -s File Server Backup Result. -hmail.*****.com -iC:\Documents and Settings\NTBackup\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\%mylog%

::This line mails the Document Management backup log.
smtpsend -fxxxx@*****.com -tme@*****.com -s DM Backup Result. -hmail.*****.com -ic:\batch\dailybackup.txt

Ok weird... During the backup window, can you sign into the host and access e:?

Any other tasks on this host that might 'shuffle' drive letters?

no nothing that changes drive letters.
i haven't tried accessing it, because it usually starts the full backup around 2am.
however i have signed in and made sure that all the drives are connected.
when this first started happening i rebooted the server every saturday and that seemed to fix it.
now it started doing it again and i still reboot the server.
frustrating dealing with backup issues.

didnt see anything, I always check the event logs.
i attached a small clip of the event log from last weekend.
when i open the event log error it says "End Backup: E: Warnings or errors were encountered consult backup log"
which says E: is not a valid drive, or you do not have access.

Attachments backup3.JPG 27.03 KB

Well, then I guess verify the account that the backup is running with, and test it manually during that time window. That would be my next step.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.