Dear Colleauge:

I think some problems are solved using Dos commands (in windows environment). I have seen some people use Dos commands to repair some problems, but they are to far to tell be how it is done. Is there any one who has any idea about this thing? and do u have a text material that shows details of doning this thing?

regards,

ben.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

In a lot of situations when you are locked out of the operating system you need to use the Recovery Console which is a command prompt.

I've already posted a link to one of your messages ( http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread46923.html ) which shows you how to do a System Restore from Recovery Console by manually copying the registry hives.

Here is how you can boot in Recovery Console:
1. Insert the Windows XP cd into the top cd drive
2. Turn the computer off
3. Setup the computer to boot from cd: either by pressing F2, F9 or Delete to go in BIOS or by pressing F12 on some OEM computers to launch the Boot Device Menu
4. As soon as you get the message Press any key to boot from the cd hit enter.
5. Wait ~3 minutes for the Windows Setup to initialize
6. At the Welcome to Setup screen press R to repair windows using recovery console.
7. Wait a couple of minutes while setup examines the hard drive.
8. You will be prompted to choose a Windows installation. Press 1 on the top of the keyboard and then
9. You will be prompted to enter the Administrator password. Press Enter if no password was set.

Here are the most common commands in the Recovery Console:

chkdsk : performs a disk check, used with the /p flag is faster used with /r is more thourough .

fixboot : examines and repairs the boot sector, usually used in combination with chkdsk .

fixmbr : examines and repairs the master boot sector, usually used in combination with chkdsk . Also used for boot sector viruses .

ren : used to rename a corrupted of infected file

bootcfg /rebuild : used to repair the boot.ini file, ntldr is missing or corrupt errors .

expand : this command will unpack a compress file from the cd, used when the system cannot find a dll. Example: expand d:\i386\wininet.dl_ c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll

dir: lists the directory tree

cd: changes the current folder. cd \ changes the current folder to the root of the drive, cd .. is up one level. Example: cd system32 will change the directory to c:\windows\system32 .

diskpart: allows you to edit the partitions

format: will format a partition

disable: will disable a service. Example: disable "norton antivirus auto protect"

enable: will enable a service. Example enable RPCSS

For a complete list of Recovery Console commands enter help.

Dear Colleague:
Thankx a lot ! I have found the link u told me to see(I am reading the printed output) and the second reply also. Now I am going to school, I'll be in class 30 minutes later. I will be back with the result.

regards,

ben.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.