I'm using Windows XP, and I have a Hitachi 2TB drive that I disconnected earlier today. When I reconnected the USB cable I heard it come on, but the prompt asking how I want to open the drive did not. When I checked My Computer it was no longer named "Hitachi" but "Local Disk (E:)" instead. When I open it, none of my folders show. When I check Disk Properties it shows the normal percentages of used/free disk space. Please help!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Here's a bit more info which hopefully is useful.

C:\Documents and Settings\Chuaz>e:

E:>chkdsk
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume Serial Number is 1AFC-2847
Windows is verifying files and folders...
Windows found errors on the disk, but will not fix them
because disk checking was run without the /F (fix) parameter.
\'Çσ first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
Removing trailing folder entries from \
File and folder verification is complete.

Here's an update.

I plugged the drive into another cumputer, but was the same.

I ran Find and Mount, but when I mounted the FAT32 as a new drive it looked the same. Blank. It found a couple of small FAT16 partitions as well, but I only got two random jpegs off of that.

I ran Recuva, but it failed and only returned about 600 renamed jpegs and wanted me to manually select each one to recover.

I finally Window's Error Check utilty with "automatically fix file systems" after reading several comments from people saying it restored their entire drive just like it was. Well, now I no longer get error messages when I run chkdsk or dir in Command Prompt, but it didn't restore my files or folders, either.

I then entered attrib -h -r -s /s /d f:*.*
*in Command Prompt, and when I checked my drive it had a folder that is 14.6GB in size named FOUND.000 with a bunch of .chk files which can be changed to .jpg files one by one. But even at that, it's still only a fraction of my data.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do? I'm adrift at sea here.

It must introuced by some virus!
thats why it is is happening.

Hi try uninstalling your external drive's driver and then plug-in your drive again. Hope that would help you :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.