I'm using Windows XP, and I have a Hitachi 2TB drive that I disconnected earlier today. When I reconnected the USB cable I heard it come on, but the prompt asking how I want to open the drive did not. When I checked My Computer it was no longer named "Hitachi" but "Local Disk (E:)" instead. When I open it, none of my folders show. When I check Disk Properties it shows the normal percentages of used/free disk space. Please help!

Contributors
Replies
Views
3 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by KM499

Here's a bit more info which hopefully is useful.

C:\Documents and Settings\Chuaz>e:

E:>chkdsk
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume Serial Number is 1AFC-2847
Windows is verifying files and folders...
Windows found errors on the disk, but will not fix them
because disk checking was run without the /F (fix) parameter.
\'Çσ first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
Removing trailing folder entries from \
File and folder verification is complete.

Here's an update.

I plugged the drive into another cumputer, but was the same.

I ran Find and Mount, but when I mounted the FAT32 as a new drive it looked the same. Blank. It found a couple of small FAT16 partitions as well, but I only got two random jpegs off of that.

I ran Recuva, but it failed and only returned about 600 renamed jpegs and wanted me to manually select each one to recover.

I finally Window's Error Check utilty with "automatically fix file systems" after reading several comments from people saying it restored their entire drive just like it was. Well, now I no longer get error messages when I run chkdsk or dir in Command Prompt, but it didn't restore my files or folders, either.

I then entered attrib -h -r -s /s /d f:*.*
*in Command Prompt, and when I checked my drive it had a folder that is 14.6GB in size named FOUND.000 with a bunch of .chk files which can be changed to .jpg files one by one. But even at that, it's still only a fraction of my data.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do? I'm adrift at sea here.

Hi try uninstalling your external drive's driver and then plug-in your drive again. Hope that would help you :)

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.