I am on here to get educated. I recently found out my husband cheated and I chose to stay with him. I am feeling a little insecure right now and I am not sure that he is being faithful. I have found things on the computer in the history and now that I have confronted him he is just deleting it before I can check. I am sorry if I sound like a paranoid wife, but I just don't want to get hurt again. I prefer to know exactly what I am getting into verses staying with a man who can't and won't stay faithful. I just want to know so that I can end things now before I catch something. Anyway I am on here to find out how to view history that has been deleted if there is a way. I know that it is never really gone. So if anyone can help me to ease my mind it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

* Depending on how they are being deleted, the tracking files (history, cookies, etc.) may be gone, at least as far as Windows is concerned. There are obviously data recovery tools which can retrieve info from a drive, but I'm not going to suggest that as an option at the moment, as those types of tools are best used by someone experienced in that sort of thing.

* The exact locations of files which can yield infomation about browsing history/habits will vary somewhat between the different versions of Windows, and the different web browsing programs themselves.
These are the folders where History, Cookie, and other files which may hold clues can be found on a Windows XP system using Internet Explorer:

In order to view all of these files and folders, you will need to do the following:
Open Windows Explorer, and in the Folder Options->View settings under the Tools menu, select "show hidden files and folders", and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and "Hide extentions for known file types".

* Beneath the C:\Documents and Settings\ folder there are separate subfolders for each user on the system, as well as folders for a few built-in system accounts. A couple of examples of these are:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner
C:\Documents and Settings\Your_name
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService

Beneath each of those folders, look at the contents of these subfolders:
My Recent Documents
Cookies
Local Settings\Temp
Local Settings\History
Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

* These folders (and their subfolders) may hold useful information as well:
C:\Recycled
C:\Recycler
C:\Windows\Temp
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.