I'm having this problem with one of my computers. I sure its infected with something but i'm not sure what it is, I think it's a trojan. It keeps sending e-mails to randomly generated users to specific servers. i.e. <random>@aol.com. since the e-mail client's smtp server is not set up, it doesn't send any emails but rather displays an error msg. Another thing is, my windows folder is c:\windows but it keeps on creating a c:\winnt\system folder and creates an .exe file with random file names. i usually delete them but sometimes they can't be deleted coz' the files are in use... any help??

BTW, I'm running win2k with SP4 on an Intel p4 and all of the available updates from MS windows update.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Might be an idea to have an online scan, so go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ for an on-line scan & set it to autoclean for you.

Might be an idea to have an online scan, so go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ for an on-line scan & set it to autoclean for you.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

that really sounds eery, what those people can do, to your personal data...

I think i got rid of it from Trend Micro's housecall... i'll give the pandasoftware a try just to make sure.

that really sounds eery, what those people can do, to your personal data...

I just hate them s2pid ppl who does those things... what do they get from doing that anyway?

oh boy! the same problem just keeps on coming back... any other suggestions???

No guarentees, as it could be a couple things, but please do these:

Download the latest version of Ad-Aware at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
After installing AAW, and before running the program, FIRST update the reference file following these instructions.
http://www.lavahelp.com/howto/updref/index.html
Now do the following:
- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Scanning Engine:
check: "Unload recognized processes during scanning."
- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Cleaning Engine:
Check: "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."
Press "Scan Now"
- Check option "Use Custom scanning options"
- Check option "Activate In-Depth Scan"
- Press "Select drives\folders to scan"
- Select the active partition which is usually C:
Now press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives...
It will find a number of "bad" files and registry keys.
Right-click in that pane and choose "select all"
Now press "Next" again.
It will ask you whether you'd like to remove all checked items. Click OK.
Finally, close Ad-Aware, and reboot.

Then:
Download 'Hijack This!'. http://www.computercops.biz/downloads-file-328.html
Unzip (extract) it to a folder of its own. Then Doubleclick HijackThis.exe (in the new folder), and hit "Scan".
When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, then Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here. for hijackthis,most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Good luck buddy they do it to get credit in pissing you off. So we talk about it like we are now. No reward I would love to do something and have everybody every where on radio on TV and on fourms talk about my spyware/virus. That's just me buddy since you seem to be very techy why not a reformat like I always recommand. Unless this is a business we can get into some work arounds. I tend to help people better over voice not text sorry buddy good luck to you keep us informed.

Good luck buddy they do it to get credit in pissing you off. So we talk about it like we are now. No reward I would love to do something and have everybody every where on radio on TV and on fourms talk about my spyware/virus. That's just me buddy since you seem to be very techy why not a reformat like I always recommand. Unless this is a business we can get into some work arounds. I tend to help people better over voice not text sorry buddy good luck to you keep us informed.

Its more fun to try and fix ,formatting is easy :)

nah! caper's right... it's easy to reformat, but that takes the challenge away doesnt it? if the creator of this thing is really enjoying being talked about, then i'll be talked about when i do something about it... :)

It always take a little challenge to solve to move on to higher grounds...

True but, after dealing with so much crap day in and day out some people like myself I don't want a headache any more I am getting to old to fix things I guess.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.