:sad: I need some help/// Just purchased a used ibm t22 thinkpad at a business bankruptsy sale. got home, turned it on, and the darn thing keeps asking me for an administrator login and password. is there a work around??? I think it's XP Professional.

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

If I was to purchase a pc and got the same problem, i'd probably just reformat the whole thing and start with a fresh install of my own choice of OS. that's only if it was me...

Thanks, but keep in mind I'm new at this. So how do I install a new os if I'm locked out the the computer. All I keep getting is a message about contacting administrator, not having administrator rights, or in the administrator group.:cry:

Thanks, but keep in mind I'm new at this. So how do I install a new os if I'm locked out the the computer. All I keep getting is a message about contacting administrator, not having administrator rights, or in the administrator group.

There are a number of ways to get around this. One is to boot fropm a live Linux CD like Knoppix. There are boot floppies that do the same thing. Can't remember where I saw them; I'll look and report back.

Also remember: "Google is your friend."

If I was to purchase a pc and got the same problem, i'd probably just reformat the whole thing and start with a fresh install of my own choice of OS. that's only if it was me...

I think I'd have to agree on this, just reformat. It's probably the quickest and easiest way to get the system usable again. Find a copy of WinXP (or any OS of your choice) and boot from CD. There really shouldn't be any problems with doing that.

Quick question: Do you have a 'restore' disk or a disk that looks like it may be an OS disk (i.e. WinXP, Win2000, or Win98?)

You can also find some software on the internet, that can crack the passwords that you need to use in your machine as an administrator or as a user, without having to do a fresh install in your new computer. As suggested above, you can run Knoppix Linux (if you can boot from CDROM disk) and use such a cracker program. If your computer was setup to be run remotely, you could possibly try to break the passwords remotely, from another computer. If you can get into the Bios of your machine, that would simplify everything. You should be able to disable passwords that way. Unfortunately, a laptop is not as easy as a desktop machine, to reset the passwords. Most desktops have a jumper on the mother board. Removing this jumper clears the bootup passwords. Or on some, you can remove the CMOS battery for awhile, and it would clear the CMOS memory. If any of my suggestions, don't work, the only alternative you have is to do a fresh install of the operating system.

Good Luck!

ONEderer

What you can do is boot in safe mode and create a new account and give your self administartor rights and then boot back on normal mode.
To boot in SAFE mode just tab on F8 key right after you turn your Pc and choose SAFE mode on the menu advanced menu..

Member Avatar for TKSS

Tell you what...I have software that can crack the admin password. It's called NTPassword and it allows you to crack any system NT 4.0 or higher. I'll send it to you if you email me with your email. It will prevent a reformat

Thanks, but I'm stuck. I booted in Safe but I still have the welcome to windows pop up, ctrl alt dlte command, private newtwork popup and the user name/password screen. i tried a cold boot with a xp home version disk, but it says I don't only an administrator can add or change settings

I think I'd have to agree on this, just reformat. It's probably the quickest and easiest way to get the system usable again. Find a copy of WinXP (or any OS of your choice) and boot from CD. There really shouldn't be any problems with doing that.

Quick question: Do you have a 'restore' disk or a disk that looks like it may be an OS disk (i.e. WinXP, Win2000, or Win98?)

I still have the welcome to windows pop up, ctrl alt dlte command, private newtwork popup and the user name/password screen. i tried a cold boot with a xp home version disk, but it says I don't only an administrator can add or change settings

when yo boot in safe mode just choose administrator user and will log you right IN, do not hit crt+alt+dlete

Someone may have set the Admin password, so your best option may be to reinstall Windows. You can use an XP Home edition disc to reformat the system, don't try to do a repair on it, or use a recovery console-- it won't work without the admin password.

We really shouldn't be recommending the downloading of password cracking tools, either. I'm not saying anyone on this board would be dishonest, but we don't know if anyone could use that information to actually crack the password on a box. We have to keep our noses clean, you know... :)

Just reinstall your giving yourself a headache.

Well I do appreciate all the responses, but I am about to give up. I was able to get to the windows install option on the xp disc, however, It's now telling me I must be an administrator to run the application . I'm afraid I've thrown quite a bit of money away with this purchase. It's a shame that such a nice piece of equipment has rendered itself useless to me. I'm open to additional ideas, before I retire it to collecting dust on my lessons learned the hard way shelf.:sad:

No you didn't you only think you did. Dude don't do an upgrade just put in the CD and boot from it. Don't reinstall the Operating System reformat it then install the Operating System man lol call me and I will walk you through it oh man!

where are you from anyway? MAD_DOG is right, if there's anybody who's near you might be able to walk you through using the phone. You did not wast money on the computer, you're just not doing it correctly.

where are you from anyway? MAD_DOG

I live in Los Angeles born and raised in South Central.

No you didn't you only think you did. Dude don't do an upgrade just put in the CD and boot from it. Don't reinstall the Operating System reformat it then install the Operating System man lol call me and I will walk you through it oh man!

patience, patience... LOL

I live in Los Angeles born and raised in South Central.

Sorry, I was asking tryit. :cheesy:

Hey ! Thanks to you all I did it! It took some time, but I installed xp home. Now when I turn it on, it gives me a choice 'tween xp professional and xp home.

It does show quite a few programs on prof. that aren't on home, like word, excel and powrpoint, but it wont' let me open them - looks for a set up. Any clue on if I can cross between prof. and home and use these programs???

You dudes are the best, I was estastic that I could take your directions adn do it.

northeast usa, where are you?

Kinda lost but, awesome dude anytime if I had anything to do with it ha reinstall some apps and you will be cool. Holler for questions

Hey ! Thanks to you all I did it! It took some time, but I installed xp home. Now when I turn it on, it gives me a choice 'tween xp professional and xp home.

It does show quite a few programs on prof. that aren't on home, like word, excel and powrpoint, but it wont' let me open them - looks for a set up. Any clue on if I can cross between prof. and home and use these programs???

You dudes are the best, I was estastic that I could take your directions adn do it.

Great! good for you then... :) good luck on your PC ...

i have a computer windows xp and i doesn't know it's administration code.what should i do?

Are you talking about the activation code? Or the Administrator account password?

This thread was marked solved long long ago in 2004. You might consider starting a new thread.

hi

if you dont know the administrator code. At the username prompt simply press CTRL+ALT+DEL at the same time twice, after that type "Administrator" at the username and press enter.

pls l lost my password, now l cant use my computer

I recently had a similar problem. I ended up using Active Password Changer on Hiren's Boot Disk to wipe the current Administrator password.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.