My lock screen works fine but after I sign in my hp pavilion 11.6 touchsmart notebook the screen goes blank and I can only see the curser if I move it. I have tried Ctr, Alt, Delete and then I go to task manager and when I go to file and click on run new task and type in explorer.exe it says that it was unable to start correctly. Please help me! :(

Hello, Karen, to help us understand where the problem might lie, would you please run the little bit of code below? It is a non-invasive query; will not damage your machine. Copy the code below into notepad, save it as RQ.bat to your desktop, then dclick RQ.bat to run it. A black cmd window will show for a second or two. Post the content in the notepad that pops.

`

reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v Shell > C:\DWebrq.txt
reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v UIHost >> C:\DWebrq.txt
start c:\DWebrq.txt
sleep 1
del c:\DWebrq.txt

`

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.