I'm not sure how all the upgrades to Windows 7 work. I have Vista Home Basic but would like to upgrade to 7 Home Premium. Is this possible or is a clean install necessary in which case I will probably have problems with drivers? The pre-release price is good, very good!!

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I have installed windows 7 RC on a laptop with Windows Vista Premium. Insert the CD after booting up to Windows Vista and It will ask you if you want to upgrade or do a clean install. It took about 1 hour for the upgrade, but after it kept all the programs and files installed. It was a very easy install btw.

Thanks but you missed my point. Can I upgrade from Vista Home Basic to Windows 7?

So long as going x86 Vista to x86 Win7, yes the upgrade is possible - but still not the best way to go. If moving from Vista x86 to Win7 x64, then the answer is no, as Vista x86 is incapable of rolling out the x64 OS build.

To be honest, "upgrading" is a poor alternative to a clean install, and will offer you a much better user experience in the end

Microsoft said that customers who will buy a new a new Windows Vista machine between now and October 22 would get free upgrades to their respective versions of Windows 7. The offer is available for Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate editions. Computers shipped with Windows Vista Home Basic will not be eligible for an upgrade. The offer runs until January 2010.

Source : PC World

With a clean install will all the drivers be there for my particular model of laptop?

With a clean install will all the drivers be there for my particular model of laptop?

Should be able to DL the drivers from the OEM's website, but always a good idea to do Google search for each of the drivers to ensure you use the latest builds

how can i upgrade my vista home basic in to window 7. is there any free upgrade option or i have to pay some amount. the cpmpaq laptop pre loaded by window vista home basic was purchased in the month of march 2009.please help. recently i am receiving a backup massege that my pre launched vista will expire with in 10 days............ please bacup the data........... what is the meaning of this warning???????????????????????,

you need to enter the product key. to remove the worning

how can i upgrade my vista home basic in to window 7. is there any free upgrade option or i have to pay some amount. the cpmpaq laptop pre loaded by window vista home basic was purchased in the month of march 2009.please help. recently i am receiving a backup massege that my pre launched vista will expire with in 10 days............ please bacup the data........... what is the meaning of this warning???????????????????????,

First -- this really should have been a new thread (I see you joined in March 2010). The one you posted on was from 2008/9.

Second -- You may have purchased this machine new, but who did you get it from? Vista Pre-Launch releases are ancient ... we have now moved on to Windows7. If you have a COA, you can enter that license key, but I doubt it is going to help you. Get your data backed up FAST and plan to contact your vendor about this. In the meantime, download VISTA and Windows7 drivers and burn them to CD or DVD (I am assuming you don't have a lot of media with this machine). It sounds like you may end up reloading.

You will have to do a custom install.
<snip>

how will i protect my pc from virus?

how will i protect my pc from virus?

disconnect it from the internet !
but really add a good virus software ,just google top 10 virus programs and choose one

You can upgrade to window vista home basic to windows 7 home premium if you are going from 32 bit vista home basic to 32 bit windows 7 home premium or from 64 bit vista home basic to 64 bit windows 7 home premium

for more information click here

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.