Updated to OS XP from ME. When then trying to reinstall softwares, I get -- Error1606 <Common Administraor Tools> All User\ -- I attempted the repair suggested from Microsoft using regedit. There is no fill User Shell\Folders\Common Administrative Tools. The install did create a - user~tmp.@01\.system\Commmon Administrative Tools on my C:Drive. It seems to here moved sometime that now it wants. I have no idea if this is correct or how to corrct it. I have tried an over install w/out help. Please have a solution short of format/install.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I don't know much of anything regarding the subject, but I have read on a few forums that it is very important to do a clean install of XP & not to install over the top of ME.

I don't know much of anything regarding the subject, but I have read on a few forums that it is very important to do a clean install of XP & not to install over the top of ME.

But is there a way to restore the file that the OS installer moved and the apps intaller now wants.

Boot up from the windows XP cd and try the recovery console. It can take a little time, but it should reinstall fresh copies of system files. Works well for when that blasted ntoskrnl.exe gets corrupted.

Here's where I show my DOS/WIN ignorance. I can get to the DOS command prompt, but I don't know what to enter.
Does it have to do with restore of "user~tmp.@01\.system\Common Administrative Tools" or
"HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\User Shell\Folders\Common Administrative Tools" -- edit string --
%allusersprofile%\start menu\programs\Administratve Tools -- reset & restart
or
some other command
Thanks

Can anyone answer the DOS command to use? Telling me where to start is far from an answer. Please!

can error 1606 be fixed

can error 1606 be fixed

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.