Can anyone help discover what is wrong - what started out as an annoying bug is now beginning to impeed work and oddly is occuring on another brand new system.

The CPU rails to 100% at random times. THe first system is a Dell M170 laptop. It picks a random process and runs it to 100%- where I can only set the priority to low and at least shut the system down. If I kill the process it jumps tothe next active process and so on... the process that it occurs on freezes and I can not use it.

If this was not bad enough - I had planned to wipe the computer and try again (I have run low level memory tests - no issue) - but now the next computer I want to use is doing it now too. It has a dual core - and only one of the cores rail to 100% - a process only shows 50% - but it is klocked and does the same thing.

I suspect it might be a bad driver - since both systems have an NVidia cards... but I am stumped and exhausted searching for resolutions.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Truthfully, it sounds like a virus to me. And like most people, you have your array of Mcafee/Ewido, etc.

However, those don't catch nearly everything. SO, I would recommend ya repost in the Virus forum.

THanks.

Definately sounds like a virus or spyware. Try starting the machine in safe mode and see if the problem still occurs, also download and scan with escan you get a 30 day trial and its much better than macafee or norton - also try spybot and adaware there free and very good too. also go to msconfig and diasable all startup programs. Let me know your results.:lol:

also go to msconfig and diasable all startup programs.

This wouldn't do anything if the virus was hidden in teh Sys32 folder ;)

The best thing to do would be to post a HijackThis in the Virus forum, and have somebody look at it there.

and scan with escan you get a 30 day trial and its much better than macafee or norton - also try spybot and adaware there free and very good too.

Agreed for the most part. Mcafee is a very good antivirus, but like every program, it doesnt catch everything. Malware-wise, Ewido and Adaware are the best. Online scans-- Kasperiky (sp?) and Panda Active scan are the top in that cagetory.

What my point in the above post is that, no matter what spyware-protection programs ya have, they won't catch everything. Therefore, a HJT log is the best to do.

Good luck :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.