To be as general as the question posed, the answer is yes. Starting a built-in service such as Terminal Services on Windows XP that advertises a port will open the port the service advertises (TS is 3389)...stopping the service will close connections to that port since nothing's listening on the other end. If you would like to be more specific I'll try to give you more specific answers.

Ok.i have this problem too.i need to close a port which was opened by an appl.the appl i closed and the service is not running..but the port is still opened. i need to close it manually.how do i do that?do u know?

Ok.i have this problem too.i need to close a port which was opened by an appl.the appl i closed and the service is not running..but the port is still opened. i need to close it manually.how do i do that?do u know?

I knew that,but in windows>system32>services I have some there are shown some ports opened and some of them I need to close. Or,I am wrong and there is only a document where are posted a history?I dont know,but I guess there is the problem.
Ty again!
Best wishes,
Rgi

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.