whenever i try to run Opera (the browser) it takes about a half an hour to open. i have defragged my hard drive countless times, and it still takes a long time to open. suggestion/solutions?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Which Opera version? Did you use it for a long time and it went slower?

Generally, many bookmarks may slow down Oprahs startup time and resident antivirus scanners with certain settings or firewalls are known to do that (in some cases), too. Sometimes the Opera6ini is junked or the cache / page history settings are wrong.

i am using the most current version of opera. i just upgraded it.i don't have any bookmarks in opera. all of my bookmarks are in firefox.

Ok, thanks. Did you make an upgrade install over an old 8.x version? This is not recommended with 9.01. Do a clean install. Otherwise read this (especially if you use NOD32):
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=146689
There are some hints on Opera startup problems. If nothing helps, delete the opera6.ini in your profile folder (backup your old one before deleting) - Opera will rebuild it and you loose your settings, but maybe it helps.

i did install 9.01 over an 8.x version. i will do a clean install and then get back to you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.