Flashed bios and got "Error Loading Operating System." Okay when reflashed back to previous level. I post I saw (another group?) suggested that XP should be set (before the flash) to generic ide drivers. Does that make any sense? How?

No solution was found in the other thread, which was focused on a new install and as a drive size problem, per the microsoft knowledge base article regarding this error.

I suspect it doesn't matter, but this is a Shuttle Mainboard AB60N, flashing from AB60S00P to AB60S00W.

P4, XP SP1, Western Digital 40Gig System Drive.

Stan

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Flashed bios and got "Error Loading Operating System." Okay when reflashed back to previous level. I post I saw (another group?) suggested that XP should be set (before the flash) to generic ide drivers. Does that make any sense? How?

Open up "IDE ATA/ATPI controllers" in Device Manager. Check if you're using an Intel or Microsoft driver. Based on the suggestion you read, if it's using an Intel driver you can roll back to the Microsoft driver.

Thanks. Drivers were already microsoft, so that was not the issue.

Any other thoughts?

Stan

Just in case anyone finds this tread trying to solve a similar problem.....

I couldn't find any solution investigating BIOS settings, active partition, MBR, etc. I finally flashed to each of the BIOS versions (the error occurred going from p to w, there was also a t and u). No error!

Stan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.