Hi!

I'm tired of wasting my time when windows thinks I want to rename a file although I don't.
In winexplorer, clicking a file's name twice (clicking a file that is already selected, not double-click) enters the rename-mode.
I don't use this way of renaming files ever, but I do accidentally click twice instead of double-click quite often.

This is very irritating.
How can I disable it? I just want to rename with F2 or right-click->rename, nothing else.

I have win2000, but I'm also interested in fixing that for winxp.
Thanks for help!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Unfortunately, there's not a way that I'm aware of to do it-- that "feature" is likely hard-coded into Explorer's file management behaviour.

Hi!

I'm tired of wasting my time when windows thinks I want to rename a file although I don't.
In winexplorer, clicking a file's name twice (clicking a file that is already selected, not double-click) enters the rename-mode.
I don't use this way of renaming files ever, but I do accidentally click twice instead of double-click quite often.

This is very irritating.
How can I disable it? I just want to rename with F2 or right-click->rename, nothing else.

I have win2000, but I'm also interested in fixing that for winxp.
Thanks for help!

How about if you change your settings to single click to open an item. Double click would be completely unnecessary then and opening files would be like clicking links on the Internet. You can change that in Folder Options.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.