How to install WIndows 98 using pentium4 computer...
pls help.

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

can you specify the problem you experience?

it should install fine just bung the cd in

There shouldn't be any problem installing windows 98 on a pentium 4 PC. not unless you've tried and have encountered problems, in that case, you'll need to elaborate more on the problem encountered.

Bigger problem than processor compatibility is motherboard and other peripherals you have. For instance, you may have motherboard drivers (which would cover the processor), but no video drivers for W98. If you examine CD's that came with your stuff, you'll see if their manufacturers support outdated windows 98.

Even without apropriate drivers, your system should run on generic drivers, but at the loss of performance. Some software (like 3d games) would not run if required drivers are not installed.

dont install 98 if you have a dual core cpu, hyperthreading or sata (98 doesnt support more than 1 cpu only nt does)

Bigger problem than processor compatibility is motherboard and other peripherals you have. For instance, you may have motherboard drivers (which would cover the processor), but no video drivers for W98. If you examine CD's that came with your stuff, you'll see if their manufacturers support outdated windows 98.

Even without apropriate drivers, your system should run on generic drivers, but at the loss of performance. Some software (like 3d games) would not run if required drivers are not installed.

I'm sure most of the hardware manufacturers do have driver support available for download from their websites, not all of them though...

My config. cant be used under w98. There are no available drivers for my mobo (Asus a8N Sli).
nForce4
Sli
HTT

All that is beyond w98.

And regarding dual core and w98.... I believe that it would work, but only 1 of them.

I have installed win98se in p4 using 512mb of RAM. after installation it is not starting...
i have tried in safe mode it is starting but not in normal mood. it hangs... no display comes after going the initial screen.

Please let me know how to proceed to install win98se properly in p4 computer.

Win98 doesnt support more than 256 ram i dont think

pls someone help me,how do u install windows xp on a pentium 4 pc formatting it

I have a p4 with a Biostar Intel socket 478 motherboard. Windows 98 installs using an ide hard drive but after it installs I get a message there isn't enough memory to start windows, I have 1 gig of memory which should be plenty for 98.I assume that 98 doesn't recognize the p4 memory stick. I have no idea what to do about this. Can you help? .. thank you ... anchorj

Try this: add the following line to the [VCache] section of your win.ini file:
MaxFileCache = 524288

I got this from the link above.

do you love 98 this much, why do you want to waste your own time in searching for drivers, use xp and above and everything will be done smoothly.

Perhaps he wants a legacy OS on a newer computer.

to install win98 in pentium 4 you need a floppy disk, for your boot disk, then before that make a boot disk put in in the floppy disk, then restart your pc,,,you need to boot from cd room.. then after that go to command type fdisk,, read carefully the instruction,, follow the instruction ... after that to install your window 98 go to command prompt type e:dir to make sure you drive E: is the cd room.. if the drive e is your cd room, type cd\ press enter then type e:\cd win98 press enter then type format c: /s

after that type c:\md win98 press enter type again c:\cd win98 press enter wait until process finish then after that type e:\win98 press enter then type copy *.* c:\win98 press enter wait until process finish then after that type setup then you are about to finish installing win98 follow the instruction. type the Information there...you are now done....

Ignore what I said about the vcache line of code, Windows 98 will not support RAM amounts over 512Mb take out some RAM for Windows to boot.

javanoob101

what if you virtualise the windows 98 using virtual box or vmware?

Guys don't revie a old thread

Perhaps we should tell a mod to close this thread so we can all forget about this thread?

javanoob101

commented: We should thank java for suggesting that. +7

1) This is not an old thread

2) There is nothing wrong with when the last on the thread is! (It doesnt mean it cant be replied to)

Not to worry bud!

Actually revivng a dead thread is not violating the rules as long it is not hijacking it. But five years still seems long to me. The posters can just start a new thread and post their problems. Furthermore the posters still have nor reply about their problem.

I have replied to threads with a last reply from 1999 (Last year) its really not a big deal :)

Really in daniweb. I thought it was started in 2002 and the first few members join in 2002. You must be joking right. Please tell me you are joking, The Dude?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.