Ok i am using win98se and when i log on the MS Reg checker pops on and says its fixing a " System.dat Error " but the problem is it never stays fixed and i get the same message every time i turn the pc on ! So whats this all about and more important whats the fix ! ?

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Welcome to Daniweb!!

Have you tried doing a system restore??

system.dat is basically your registry....

Please try these things

1) Bootup and hold down F8 until a menu appears
2) Select Option 5 (Command Prompt)
3) Enter this @ the C prompt

scanreg/restore

Select the oldest registry listed......

If this doesnt work,repeat steps 1-2 and @ the prompt type this:

scanreg/fix (VERY POWERFULL COMMAND IN 98 -- Basically rebuilds your registry)

Then reboot after its done.......

Good luck and please let us know how you make out :)

Caper jack - i know that just happens to be my post you came across on the other site, posting here now because i hope some one here has a fix, they dont . . .

Dude - i have already tryed that and it didnt help, when i used the c/p it just booted me back to the reg repair and when i tryed the safety mode command promt it just adds another corupted back up to this list of five, so i still need a fix ! so what now any smarter ideas out there ! ?

also i am confused about what the promt look likes. i though the promt was C:\ but my promt is C:\> - i don t think thats right? So what now ! bye and awaiting help - thanks. . .

Caper jack - i know that just happens to be my post you came across on the other site, posting here now because i hope some one here has a fix, they dont . . .

Dude - i have already tryed that and it didnt help, when i used the c/p it just booted me back to the reg repair and when i tryed the safety mode command promt it just adds another corupted back up to this list of five, so i still need a fix ! so what now any smarter ideas out there ! ?

also i am confused about what the promt look likes. i though the promt was C:\ but my promt is C:\> - i don t think thats right? So what now ! bye and awaiting help - thanks. . .

ok ,on the other site you were told to do the following did you do this ,

check in msconfig..and untick Ms Reg checker.
Start>run>type msconfig>startup tab.
Ms Reg checker comes preinstalled in Win98se..not the most reliable Microsoft application.

Did you try any registry fixing software? Like norton utilities or registry mechanic? Those will fix, clean and defragmet the registry.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.