Help! I am buying XP Home suite and intend to install it on my PC over ME, which has become very unstable and a real pain, constantly crashing and proving difficult to start up, in spite of running de-frag frequently.
However although I feel confident about doing this, I am alarmed at some of the comments on some threads saying it is 'not possible to load XP over ME' because the PC may not be able to handle it.
My PC is about 4 - 5 years old, surely not too old to handle XP? I have had a second hard disk fitted and the memory increased.
Any serious advice would be most welcome.
Thanks, Tez

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If possible, ALWAYS do a clean install instead of upgrading. It seems it creates fewer problems for you in the long run.

I agree. I also upgraded from ME to XP (a long time ago) and no doubt I wiped the drive and did a clean install. Plus, you want to use this opportunity to back up your files anyway (and junk the ones you really don't want).

BTW tez, what processor do you have? Ram? HD?

Good luck.

I agree. I also upgraded from ME to XP (a long time ago) and no doubt I wiped the drive and did a clean install. Plus, you want to use this opportunity to back up your files anyway (and junk the ones you really don't want).

BTW tez, what processor do you have? Ram? HD?

Good luck.

AMD DURON 600Mhz / 320mb Ram / 20Gb
Thanks for your help. Still considering!
Tez

Your system is quite capable of running Windows XP. In your situation it would definitely be worthwhile to download all the necessary Windows XP device drivers, back up your data files, wipe your system clean and do a fresh clean install of Windows XP.

You will be much happier if you just backup and do a clean install, getting the drivers ahead of time is also very important. As long as your computer can handle it, you will love the stability difference.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.