i recently went on holiday.. it was lovely thanks =)

anyway.. while i was away some smart little girl known as a "sister" decided it would be a good idea to upgrade my pc without actually upgradeing =O

she installed windows xp.. ¬¬ and if your looking at my computer specs right now you know thats not an all together clever thing to do.. =)

anyway i wiped it off.. luckly ididnt loose anything cause she had some sense and installed it on the second hard drive so none of my original 98 and personal files were lost.. i sorted all the other little problums that arised. but there is one that jus irratate the liveing %$£& out of me..

when i turn the computer on it does the whole duel boot up thing.. ( Select a OS ) and it still has windows xp.. even tho i formated the hard drive from the ntfs to fat32 fully it seems the partition is still somwhere on the computer..

and im not that good with computers.. so id like a little help on how to get rid of it.. so it jus automaticly starts up in 98 =) the OS we all know and love =)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

boot from a dos disk and at the command prompt do:

fdisk /mbr

this wipes the bootarea where the loader is stored

this definately works for getting rid of linux bootloaders (never tried it for xp tho)

boot from a dos disk and at the command prompt do:

fdisk /mbr

this wipes the bootarea where the loader is stored

this definately works for getting rid of linux bootloaders (never tried it for xp tho)

im sorry but that made no sense to me.. i dont have a dos disk unless you mean the recovery for win 98 one? there must be a better way then some method used for linux systems :rolleyes:

go into a command prompt and do fdisk/mbr and it will wipe the bootloader

i was just saying that ive never tried to remove the xp bootloader in this way but it has worked for solving problems such as this befoe e.g removing the linux bootloader or the partition magic one

mhm.. didnt work.. but thanks itwas worth a try aye =)

Whoa there. did you run that command from a DOS window within windows? It won't work then. Use the Windows 98 CD to boot into DOS mode and type the command there.

if you can get into win98 ,just edit the boot.ini file ,removing the winxp reference .

went into msconfig.. and boot ini..and boot and everything else.. while on windows 98 os and couldnt find anything that said xp

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.